Popsa is an e-Commerce startup that uses machine learning to automatically create personalised products such as photobooks, calendars, posters, and boxes of prints.
Popsa is a 500 Startups alumnus.
We are currently growing at 40% month-on-month and have eclipsed all of our growth forecasts for 2017.
Our aim is to build an auto-renewing subscription service to your memories; your best photos carefully curated and lovingly presented, printed and shipped to you each month - all without lifting a finger.
We are working towards generating beautiful keep-sake mementos and personal photo-diaries entirely in the background - selecting the best user-generated content via machine learning algorithms before programmatically designing an appropriate layout.
Find out more here: https://blog.popsa.com/jobs/
YOU AND THE ROLE
Hours of work goes into getting an automated workflow right, so there are very few things more satisfying than a successful build and deploy.
This truly is a central role.
You will having a unique perspective of the business with an opportunity to craft optimal, automated workflows for the entire business, and develop our core APIs to support new products, suppliers and mobile/web clients.
We are looking for an engineer who sees the wider business context and can code solutions accordingly; an engineer who prides themselves on writing secure, stable and maintainable code, and who is passionate about automating not only their own workflows but those across the business. The role needs a creative, problem-solving attitude, paired with a sensible approach to risk.
You will be working at our HQ in the heart of London's Soho.
The Popsa platform powers not just our mobile apps, but numerous internal business applications and custom integrations with our industrial print partners. We're also running some in-house-designed hardware deployed too. All in all it's a platform that is accessed tens of thousands of times a day from all over the world.
Following recent investment we've spent the summer building out a new architecture to support the launch of a range of new products. We've successfully embraced a microservices methodology and created a solid foundation on which to build.
This will enable us to build a raft of new features that we've always wanted to build, as well as experiment with machine learning and optimise the platform for a global audience of users. We're looking for someone who has experience building rock-solid backend systems but has a passion for tinkering and experimenting.
We're also looking for someone who is up for a challenge. There's a lot of responsibility here, and we want someone who pushes themselves to constantly improve and learn. If the idea of building out the architecture for a company experiencing very rapid growth sounds good to you then please get in touch.
Popsa runs entirely on Amazon Web services, so please only apply if you're familiar with AWS services such as EC2, DynamoDB, SNS, SQS, ECS and Lambda.
• RESTful and RPC APIs – you'll be designing and building new APIs
for our mobile and web clients, and integrating with new partners and
• Competency with a language such as Go, Java or Python
• Structuring code for scalability and performance
• AWS Services
• Testing frameworks
• Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment - we embrace automation
• Linux - you should be very comfortable with managing Linux servers and writing command line apps
• We're a close and hard-working team; happy to share workloads and work late at crunch time, you'll need to be a team-player.
• We're sticklers for neat, maintainable, well-documented code that follows the conventions for the language or framework you're working with. We'll expect you to feel the same way.
• We work in an Agile team with quick iterations, regular deployments, weekly sprints; it helps if you've experienced these working patterns.
• We're driving towards increased automation so we expect everyone to contribute to this DevOps culture with high-visibility of application performance.
• You'll be responsible for API development (architecture, programming, testing, documentation, and deployment), internal apps (such as our bespoke PDF generators and our customer support CMS) and platform stability/security (ensuring Popsa stays up and running whilst protecting our customer's data).
You'll receive a competitive salary based on your skills and experience, but most importantly, you will also get to own part of the business.
Popsa has an share options scheme that is open to all employees.
We'll tell you all about it as part of the interview process.