FilledThis offer is not available anymore
From smartphones to connected cars, location data is changing the way we live and the way business happens. CARTO is the platform that turns location data into more efficient delivery routes, better behavioral marketing, strategic store placements and more.
Everyone, from business analysts to data scientists, use our software and location data to understand where and why things happen, optimize business processes, and predict future outcomes.
Data is more important than ever and the information distilled from it is crucial to make meaningful decisions. We are currently investing in growing the portfolio of third party data sources we work with (check out our Data Catalogue). This means that we are continuously evaluating the value that data from new providers can bring to our customers, we analyse new data to understand how it compares to other equivalent sources; and once we decide to include it as part of our offering, we document it and expose it to our internal teams and customers through the Data Observatory.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated Data Scientist to work at the intersection of data science and GIS. In this role, you will be working in the Data Science team to evolve the Data Observatory, create new algorithms and derivative datasets that leverage the spatial nature of data to produce more accurate insights and predictions via CARTO’s Location Intelligence platform. You will also work with external clients to help solve their spatial data science problems and to bring new functionality to CARTO as a platform.
This position will be working out of our Madrid office - collaborating with a team of diverse and talented Data Scientists with significant experience working with spatial data, and reporting to our Head of Data. We are also open to remote candidates.
- Understand the data from different providers and run evaluation projects to ensure we work with the best in each field.
- Develop processes and ETL scripts to manipulate the data and to make it ready to be consumed in the CARTO platform.
- Engage with Product and Engineering teams so they can automatise the consumption of the different data sources throughout our portfolio of products.
- Participate in challenging Data Science projects, developing creative solutions to solve our customers more complex business problems.
- Contribute to researching new Spatial Data Science methods that drive activity on our platform, scale our business, and enhance the user experience.
- Communicate rationale and findings from analyses to facilitate operational decisions for our clients.
- Present your work both to internal decision makers, and at conferences, meetups and leading workshops around spatial data science
- Keep up to date on new developments from industry and academia and presenting and educating the wider company at CARTO
- Ability to work with clients and other stakeholders to translate business problems into Data Science workflows.
- Education in relevant fields or some previous experience in Data Science.
- Experience with Python and SQL.
- Experience working with Google Cloud, AWS and/or Azure data engineering ecosystems (BigQuery, BigTable, S3, Apache Beam, Hadoop, Spark etc.)
- Strong organisational skills
- Familiarity with modern data pipelines and ETL practices.
- Fluency in English.
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Access to our employee stock options planPrivate medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment at the center of Madrid
- A bright, comfortable office, stocked with snacks, good coffee, and even a ping-pong table and cinema.
- Growth prospects at a truly welcoming, multicultural and multilingual company.
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we’re sharing it with the world.
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity. A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability. To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).