Thousands of businesses use Geckoboard to build live TV Dashboards that focus teams on what matters. We take the complexity out of connecting data and make it simple for anyone to understand key metrics at a glance. We have pre-built integrations with 60+ tools including Google Analytics, Salesforce, Zendesk, Intercom, and Google Sheets, and our customers include Marketo, Slack, and Skyscanner.
As a Geckoboard Infrastructure Engineer, you will be on the team who are continually improving our infrastructure and software systems. As we continue to grow, the projects you work on and changes you make will enable Geckoboard and the team to deliver better products to market and improve the way we work. In short, you’ll make the working lives of our customers and colleagues easier.
Based from our London office, you'll be joining a friendly team with brilliant people in an environment with empowered engineers, flexible working conditions, and a focus on skill development (see "Life at Geckoboard").
Our Infrastructure Engineers:
- Enjoy thinking about how systems work, how they scale, and how they fail.
- Break down large pieces of work into smaller pieces that can be shipped separately.
- Write code in a high-level programming language (e.g. Go, Ruby, Python).
- Enjoy helping their colleagues and end-users, and when designing solutions always consider their needs.
- Are comfortable using a Linux shell.
Projects our Infrastructure Engineers work on:
Our system handles thousands of requests per second, so the work we do has a tangible impact on the reliability and performance of our application, and the experiences our customers have using Geckoboard. We also recognise that our customers are trusting us with some of their most sensitive data, so we constantly work to ensure the security of that data. Some of the work we’ve done in the past few months:
- Built a CI pipeline to test our Chef configuration against EC2 spot instances on every commit.
- Put our deployment tooling behind an API.
- Made it possible for anybody at Geckoboard to easily QA a pull request of our front-end app on our production site.
- Implemented distributed request tracing to help Engineers visualise calls between our microservices.
You might find yourself working on some of these projects:
- Migrating the services we run on AWS EC2 Classic to VPC. We’d like you to look at our systems holistically and help us re-design and improve them in the process.
- Helping our engineers understand what their apps are doing in production through implementation of better instrumentation, metrics, monitoring and visualisation.
- Increasing the frequency and velocity of our deployments. Our engineers currently deploy to production 12 times a day, but we believe we can make it easier.
- You'll also be regularly involved in planning, prioritisation and evaluation of our work; your experience and suggestions will help drive the projects we work on.
Day to day you can expect to be exposed to, and work with technologies including: Chef Solo, Test Kitchen, Terraform, Vagrant, Consul, HashiCorp’s Vault, AWS, Librato, Lightstep.
We're not expecting that you’ll have worked in all of these areas before. More than anything, we value people who are passionate about picking up new skills and sharing what they’ve learned with the rest of the team and a diversity of backgrounds.
Right now you may be in a similar role, or perhaps you’ve worked as a Software Engineer for a few years and would like to move into operations/managing infrastructure. Our first Infrastructure Engineer started at Geckoboard as a Software Engineer. You may even be in an operations role and are looking to have a broader and long-lasting company impact.
If you’ve managed applications running in a “production” environment, preferably using a configuration management tool (e.g. Puppet, Ansible, Chef), we’d love to hear from you.
Life at Geckoboard
We’re constantly striving to ensure that we offer the most encouraging, inclusive, and efficient environment possible.
We don't just pay lip service to work-life balance, we actively and strongly encourage it. Flexible working hours and the ability to regularly work from home lets you work in a way that fits you and your family. We see our contractual obligation to offer 25 days of paid holiday as a minimum for everyone in the organisation, not a limit.
We actively contribute to professional development, courses, conferences, and books. We also run fortnightly "Innovation Wednesdays", where everyone has complete freedom to work on anything that interests them, from contributing to open source, to learning a new skill, or improving our internal tools and processes.
And, don’t take our word for it, see what the team say about the
projects they work on: https://medium.com/geckoboard-under-the-hood and
their experience of working with us on Glassdoor:
can also read more about our values and benefits on our Careers page at