When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
- We’re looking for an experienced HR generalist, who has a people centric mindset. You will be the people expert in Spain, based in our Madrid office and will spend your time owning all things ‘people’.
- You will act as a business partner to the Senior Leadership team and Managers. You will optimise the way we hire and train our managers to find the best candidates. You’ll focus on developing and delivering learning programmes for our people. You’ll equip managers with the tools and knowledge to do performance reviews, give effective feedback and help them develop their coaching skills. You’ll work with them on how to inspire and motivate their teams to achieve amazing things.
- Working closely with the central HQ team in London; you’ll also be responsible for localising personnel policies, ensuring that we are compliant as we continue to grow, setting appropriate remuneration, providing benefits and engaging the people who work with us. You won’t be afraid to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in; ultimately you’ll be responsible for all parts of HR, from people admin to the people strategy.
- We’re assembling a diverse, passionate, highly skilled team and you will be doing the same to achieve a great working environment.
- You’ll have proven experience working in a generalist HR position and be able to pull on your knowledge of all parts of the employee lifecycle;
- You'll have proven experience in dealing with ER issues and employment law
- You’ll ideally already have been part of a fast paced company that’s grown rapidly and will know the appropriate HR interventions/ initiatives;
- You’re skilled at working within a matrix organisation and have built great relationships with central and HQ teams;
- You’re comfortable with ambiguity and can make sense of the grey;
- You thrive in fast paced environments and are comfortable with switching between operational and strategic;
- You’re awesome at building strong relationships and have great communication skills;
- You’ll ideally be proficient in English
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.