are the leading mobile point-of-sale (mPOS) company in Europe. We
started out 6 years ago and built our payment service from scratch to
shake up the industry and wake up the entrepreneur within anyone. We
created a unique device that, with the smartphone that’s in your pocket,
allows small merchants to accept card payments anywhere. Whether our
merchants are brewing coffee or fixing cars, we want to make technology
that everyone knows how to use. That way our merchants can focus on what
they do best. From our paperless onboarding to taking the first
payment, we make it easy. Traditional offerings leave out small
businesses, we don’t. We are open and honest about our pricing and have
no hidden fees.
Today, hundreds of thousands of small
businesses in 31 countries around the world rely on SumUp to get paid.
In addition to our original hardware, mobile and web apps we have gone
on to develop a suite of APIs and SDKs to integrate SumUp payment into
other apps and services.
Why work for us?
do things differently. We build our own payment solution end-to-end so
that we can always offer the best value and service. We know how vital
payment is to small businesses, so we use our technology to solve their
problems. We believe in open and transparent communication, not strict
rules and hierarchies. We are a team of hardworking, talented people
with one goal: to build a better way to get paid. We’ve got some huge
challenges ahead of us, and we need smart, creative people to help us
tackle them. If you think you’ve got what it takes - join us.
Your impact at SumUp
As part of our vision to become a global IT organization, we have started to build out local, autonomous, cross-functional teams that can take an aspect of our product and perfect it from concept to execution. As Head of QA, you will lead the QA engineers part of several agile teams that are strategic to SumUp's success, for instance Acquiring and Payments, Merchant Acquisition, Integrations/B2B, Referrals, Global Expansion etc.
You will actively grow and develop these teams, from the hiring process to helping shape their QA-related technical decisions in the context of our overall software system and processes. As our team gets constantly bigger across 3 locations (Sofia, Berlin and São Paolo) you will also be responsible for establishing new teams and optimizing existing ones. Beyond these responsibilities, you will play a key role in contributing to our overall technical vision and help build a great engineering community at SumUp.
- Broadly oversee all QA engineers and their activities among teams located in Sofia, Berlin and São Paolo (10 engineers, with plans for additional hiring within the next year).
- Play a key role in defining, implementing and executing QA test strategy for manual and automation tests across all roles in the Engineering organization
- Establish relevant and sustainable production support strategy.
- Partner closely with Development, Product and the rest of the Engineering organization to achieve the goals in product and technical roadmaps.
- Become deeply knowledgeable about SumUp's software system on a user experience and technical level in order to onboard new joiners and be the reference for all team members about "the full picture".
- Lead the hiring process of QA engineers, including interviews, technical assessments, and refining our hiring and recruitment approach.
- Mentor and support QA engineers in daily duties, coordinate tasks distribution and support the release life cycle.
- Organize and stimulate knowledge improvement, transfer and exchange between team members in different locations.
- Travel to different SumUp offices to learn how our global Tech organization works and synchronize QA efforts across locations
We craft the merchant's experience with our service end-to-end: from our proprietary hardware to our payments services, mobile apps, and web applications. This means we have a wide range of technical challenges before us, especially as our business grows year over year.
- Tools: AWS, Github, Jenkins, Graylog, Kibana, Consul, New Relic.
- Principles: Service-oriented architecture, microservices, internal open-source culture, cross-functional teams (comprising platform, web, QA, design, and product).
- You are experienced with leading, coaching and mentoring QA engineers (at least 2 years of experience on a management role).
- You have deep expertise in test automation practices and programming (5+ years of experience in Software Quality Assurance). You are experienced in implementing the most suitable automation tools depending on the project specifics and can dive into it if needed.
- You understand how an efficient and pragmatic software development process works end-to-end across all technology functions.
- You have good knowledge of security coding/security standards in software development and penetration testing.
- You love attracting, interviewing and growing people.
- You are positive, pragmatic and an excellent communicator.
- You are passionate about quality and are keen on establishing good QA practices and processes across the whole company.
- You have a strong user experience mindset and care about creating a great experience for our merchants.
- You're fluent in English and willing to travel as part of our global organization.
- Experience working in an international, distributed team is a plus.
Considered as advantage:
- Proven management skills in a software development company as a QA manager for a 5+ sized team of QA specialists.
- Experience in Payments.
- Experience with Jenkins or other CI systems.
- Knowledge of Ruby, Rails, Java, Selenium, Cucumber and mobile testing.
What we offer:
- Responsibility and empowerment from day one.
- Competitive compensation and education budget.
- Close, welcoming, and international community of 700 people from over 30 countries; we get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, yoga, and office parties.
- At least one off-site every year, where the tech teams from Berlin, Sofia, and São Paulo gather together.
If you want to know what it’s like to work at SumUp, check out our careers page at https://sumup.com/careers.
We are looking forward to receiving your application!
Official website, founding date, employees, how did it all begin... Do you know the whole story?Tell Us!