Lingokids' mission is to help 100 million families around the world raise amazing children through playlearning™. To help us on this mission we’re looking for an exceptional Head of Engineering. The role can be fully remote or based out of our sunny Madrid office.
We’re reinventing early childhood education through an online language learning service for kids. With fresh content - games, books, videos, interactive episodes, etc - every week, we are helping more than 9M families and their children around the world learn English in a fun and effective way.
Our dream is to have a positive impact on 100M families and we’re working hard to make it a reality. Our talented team of product designers, software engineers, and content producers tweak and improve our product daily while incorporating feedback from our customers.
Are you our Head of Engineering?
As a Head of Engineering, you will be responsible for leading an engineering group: growing and supporting the teams that build Lingokids’ product and business. You will manage a group of Engineering Leads, supporting them to run effective teams who iteratively deliver a quality product.
You would manage and lead our Core Product group, initially responsible for two teams: Core Experience and Learning and Content Delivery, currently consisting of 11 engineers. We are looking to add around 5 engineers over the next 6 months and split into more teams.
Core Experience builds, maintain, and scale our core product experiences that will delight kids and parents leading up to increased retention. Learning and Content Delivery build products to deliver the right content to the right user at the right time and tools to support the efficiency of multiple internal teams.
The whole Engineering department consists of around 40 people, working in cross-functional teams with our Product department. We are looking to add another 10-15 engineers over the next 6 months.
Our current tech stack in the backend is based on Ruby on Rails, with Python for Data Engineering. Our mobile apps use React Native, and we build our interactive content with Unity 3D.
- Manage a group of Engineering Leads, providing them with management support and ensuring their personal development
- Ensure teams within your group are performing effectively, shipping a quality product often
- Ensure your group are growing both professionally and in terms of headcount
- Guide engineers towards practical, incremental designs that can garner useful external feedback quickly, without compromising on the long-term flexibility of the system
- Assist your group in setting and achieving measurable goals which align with the company strategy
- Be accountable for the technical strategy within your groups; collaborate with the VP of Engineering on the overall technical and organisational strategy of the engineering department
- Maintain morale and strong engineering culture, ensuring wellbeing and retention within your group
- You’ve led engineering organizations of 15+ people within a fast-growing environment
- You have proven experience supporting and developing both managers and individual contributors
- You are able to attract, hire and retain top engineering talent
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to partner with people from different disciplines within the organization.
- Experience working within a large-scale consumer product is preferable
English is a must. We are a multicultural team, and we are providing a service in English so, we don't care about certificates, but we expect you to be able to communicate fluently.
You should feel equally comfortable communicating in long-form writing. Given the circumstances, we have become a fully remote company. We believe that being articulate in both spoken and written long-form asynchronous communication is key to working efficiently together.
Experience working closely with non-technical stakeholders to refine requirements and bring them to life is a must. We expect our Head of Engineering to be the driving force for the entire development lifecycle.
🏡 Unlimited remote working: you can choose to work from home indefinitely or attend our Madrid headquarters whenever you feel like it. This position is open to anyone within +/- 2 hours of the CET timezone.
⚖️ Flexible hours and work-life balance: we care about the results you bring to the team. 9 to 6 and constant commuting is not for us either.
📈 Stock options: joining Lingokids means you can choose to own part of the company.
🌍 Visa sponsorship: if you need a visa to work in the EU, Lingokids will assist you during the visa process, costs included.
📚 Professional growth: up to €2.000 per year for conferences, books, and training.
💬 Language lessons: language learning is what we’re all about! We’ll cover language classes for you to learn Spanish, English or Portuguese.
🩺 Health care: we have optional health insurance as flexible retribution and 4 online therapy sessions for free to help your self-awareness and wellbeing.
💳 Flexible compensation: you'll be able to include your monthly expenses in meals and transportations into your payroll.
🍲 Meal allowances: every month, you will receive a 60€ voucher for you to spend on the restaurants and food delivery services you like the most.
🖥 Home office setup: you'll have a 400€ voucher to set up your home office and a 35€ monthly allowance for remote expenses.
🙌 Feedback culture: feedback is the breakfast of champions, and we take it seriously! We have a real-time and honest feedback culture, and a formal 360º assessment every 6 months.
If you think you don't tick all the boxes, we'd still love to hear from you. Nobody checks every box, and we are looking for someone excited to join the team.