Worldsensing products have been pioneering the industrial IoT since 2008. We’re looking for an outstanding Head of Engineering to join the Engineering team in our Barcelona office.
Founded in 2008, Worldsensing works with more than 300 engineering service providers worldwide to help them improve geotechnical, geospatial and structural monitoring in mining, construction, rail and critical infrastructure management.
With over 1,000 networks deployed worldwide and connecting over 65,000 sensors to the Internet of Things, our Loadsensing product is the leader in the IoT remote monitoring space. The Loadsensing monitoring solution includes best-in-class edge devices, LoRa-based wireless connectivity and a cloud-based connectivity management platform. We also join forces with key industry players to offer software applications and solutions which engineering service providers use to add value to end customers.
We’re looking for an experienced, energetic Head of Engineering to take Loadsensing to the next level.
Key data about the role:
Reports to: CTO
The mission of the Head of Engineering (HE) is to keep the Engineering team organized, motivated and delivering against all of the company’s roadmap initiatives. He/She will ensure that the pace of development and quality are measured against high standards.
The HE brings a strategic mindset to the Engineering organisation. Having a balanced high-level and tactical mindset is a must, as he/she will spend time both with the Product Management, Business Development and Engineering teams to deliver against the strategic objectives for the department.
The HE provides management leadership, working closely with development, operations, security and QA/testing teams, overseeing the delivery of new products end-to-end, working closely with the different stakeholders.
The HE who will join us will need to span Worldsensing’s full technology spectrum, which includes hardware, firmware, communications and software. We do not expect that the HE will be an expert in all these areas before joining Worldsensing, but will be an expert in some of them and will give us confidence that he/she has the capacity and interest to develop deep expertise in the other areas in order to challenge the teams when needed.
Worldsensing is a strong supporter of communities, and hence the HE will have the opportunity to give back by participating in meetups, workshops, hackathons and different local and international events, working together with communities of enthusiasts, and experts worldwide.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Head of Engineering has the following responsibilities:
- Understand the company’s business and product strategy to design a team and resource structure that will give us a sustained competitive edge
- Define the processes and methodologies for the Engineering organisation in line with the strategy
- Act as POC for the engineering team in all delivery and management matters
- Establish the focus of the Engineering Department, design the organization and lead it
- Define the operative of the team: work methodologies, tools, calendar, deadlines and milestones aligned with the company’s product and technology roadmaps
- Represent the Engineering department internally and externally
- Ensure the team is motivated and informed about the why and where we are going as a company
- Ensure documentation is consistent with ISOs and delivered to quality standards
- Ensure Engineering team has clear roles and responsibilities definition, and career plans to evolve and grow overtime
- Define and measure KPIs for the organisation in order to improve performance and standards
- Participate in the Identification and documentation of the core Intellectual Property that is created within Engineering Organisation
Outcomes expected within 12 months:
- An Engineering organisation that delivers against product and technology roadmaps and gives us a clear and sustainable competitive advantage has been put in place
- Clear KPIs are set for the organisation and constantly reviewed demonstrating a continuous improvement culture
- Different resourcing pools are available to keep up with the company’s strategy
- Accountability of the different Engineering functions is put in place aligned with the companies product and technology portfolios
- ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 mechanisms and processes have been adjusted and adopted from all the Engineering teams as part of the daily activities.
- Experience building multi-skilled Engineering organisations, including Software, Hardware, Communications and Firmware. Ideally in an IoT environment
- Comfortable working with hybrid product requirements, public cloud services and private/on-premise deployments, as well as having prior experience with open source libraries and frameworks
- Proven ability to develop and execute an Engineering team vision with a focus on business value
- Experience designing and implementing full-stack enterprise scalable products, including life-cycle automation
- Experience with different methodologies and processes that adapt to the company’s needs
- Strong presentation skills, while interacting with both technical and non-technical people, adapting the complexity of the vocabulary as required by the audience
- Presence in the external tech community: you proactively share your expertise with others via speaking engagements, contributions to blogs and more
- Talent in negotiations and networking
- Aptitude in decision-making and working with data-driven teams and infrastructures
- Fluent level of English, both written and spoken as the role interacts with both local Spanish and international stakeholders
- At least 15 years’ experience in engineering development roles and 5 years in a similar position
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
Detailed Skill List:
- At least 10 years experience with high-performance Engineering Organisations
- Experience leading engineering development teams using Agile, Lean and/or Continuous Delivery approaches
- Previous experience with managing internal company resources, as well as, external providers and resources effectively
- For each skill category below, example methodologies, tools or platforms are provided as guidance. Although not all of them are required, breadth and depth of skills are expected, and will be valued, for a Head of Engineering role:
- Methodologies: Agile SCRUM, Kanban, Waterfall
- Development Tools: Git and Linux ecosystem
- Continuous Integration & Continuous Delivery: Jenkins, Travis CI or similar
- Containers: Docker or similar
- Cloud Infrastructure: Google Cloud Platform or similar
- Communications technologies and protocols: IoT space, LoRa and LPWAN networks is a nice to have
- Excellent communication skills at all levels
- Ability to handle high levels of pressure and critical decision-making
- High integrity and openness combined with commitment to good governance
- Energetic, highly motivated, with an enquiring mind and passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of business growth and success
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, focus on results, promoting efficiency and continuous improvement
- Proactivity and autonomy
- Ability to adapt to multicultural environment with good interpersonal relationships
- Teamwork and cooperation
- Must be organized, assertive and have the ability to complete projects according to scheduled timelines
- Great work environment: we are a passionate, tight-knit team hailing from 20+ countries.
- We are a family-friendly company and support a healthy work-life balance, we’re outcome oriented.
- You will work remotely while the COVID situation persists
- We like grabbing lunch or a drink together, and coming together for fun events organized by Worldsensing (COVID-permitting).
- We love to learn and we love to share so you will actively participate in our knowledge sharing initiatives or transversal committees (communities, show and tell, etc.).
- You can expect a competitive compensation package.
- Opportunity to work for a global IoT player which has been labeled as one of the organizations actively shaping and pioneering the Industrial Internet.
At Worldsensing, we’re committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We strive to be a more equal opportunity workplace.