Head of Central Operations
With the mission of reinventing real estate making it transparent, instant and exciting, Spotahome was founded in March 2014. It is the first platform designed for direct booking of accommodation of 30 days or more, taking away one of the biggest headaches for people planning to move abroad and making finding a new home secure, transparent, fast and easy. Spotahome operates in 7 different countries and 10 cities across the EMEA region, with a headcount of 270 people from over 30 different nationalities. To prepare for future expansion and growth, Spotahome is opening a global hub in London where the new C-level suite will be placed.
The level of user engagement is extraordinary -- i.e., the company has 6 times the Trustpilot user feedback of Onefinestay despite being founded only 4 years ago -- with 90% leaving an ‘Excellent’ or ‘Great’ review rating.
Spotahome has raised a total of $72 million. It is a private series B company backed by Kleiner Perkins, Passion Capital and Seaya Ventures as main investors. It is the first time KPCB (and any top-tier VC from Silicon Valley) invested in Spain. Investors also include Arthur Kosten (Booking.com), Alexander Aggashippour (Zendesk), Klaus Nyengaard (Just Eat), and other top executives from Amazon, Facebook, Uber, Dropbox, BBVA, Stubhub, Momondo etc. Spotahome recently hired Balaji Nageswaran (SVP HelloFresh and former Amazon in Seattle) as their Chief Product Officer, Cleo Sham (Director of Operations, Uber EMEA and Uber China) as their Chief Operations Officer, and Angel Azcarraga (Director, Software Development at Amazon) as their Chief Technology Officer.
The role requires a highly versatile and well rounded leader, someone who can create and drive strategy but also roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty. It’s the intersection of leadership, analytics, creativeness, and problem solving that makes this an exciting and challenging job.
Role: Head of Central Operations
Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer
- Build the team. You will be responsible for defining the vision of the organisation and building the team with top talent to work alongside local teams
- Pursue and institute operational excellence. Create best-in-class operational flows and processes and improve existing ones, to ultimately benefit our customers. Continuously refine them to improve and upgrade
- Maintain consistency of the customer journey and experience for Homecheckers, Tenants, and Landlords across markets. This includes the operational experience and communications through the lifecycle, across markets
- Scaling best practice and helping newer markets learn faster. Creating play-books of best practices that emerge from local or central teams, and making best practice scalable. Directly impact growth in cities, and enhance the ultimate customer experience by raising the bar in how we operate across teams
- Strike balance between growth and efficiency and where appropriate, increase operational efficiency and assist local teams by centralizing select activities. Demonstrate business judgment and empathy in doing so
- Project management and program management: as part of the operations leadership team, lead and drive company-level strategic initiatives across teams
- Work closely with functional partners (e.g., Product and Tech) to define product requirements that best serve our customers
- Stay ahead of the curve. Be part of innovating in the industry; maintain up-to-date knowledge of the marketplace, regulations, competitors and trends
- Leading by example and establishing a fun, inclusive, and entrepreneurial environment, while embodying Spotahome’s Mission, Vision and Values
- 8+ years of experience in business management, operations, strategy, technology, business development or similar role.
- Strategic thinking. Shapes strategy and designs the organization accordingly
- Vision. Formulate vision for the team at each stage of growth, seeing around corners. Evolve the mandate of the team together with the company
- Versatility. A leader who can go into the details and down to the nuts and bolts of operations to optimize, while being able to envision and communicate it from 50000 ft view
- Team management skills. Ability to attract, develop, and retain the best talent. Experience in managing distributed teams is a plus.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills. Ability to assess new situations and make robust data-driven decisions and exercise strong business judgment in ambiguity. Able to roll up your sleeves, analyze data, and pull key insights for your team.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills. Stellar relationship building skills with their team, cross-functional colleagues, and external partners; and the ability to foster business partnerships from negotiation to execution.
- Advanced project management skills to manage complex, ambitious projects involving multiple stakeholders
- Experience navigating the legal, financial, product and operational complexities in running a global marketplace
- Leadership by example. Ability to motivate, inspire and create an inclusive and positive work environment for all. Experience leading a team at scale, and a passion for coaching and developing your team members
- Entrepreneurship mentality. Ability to think outside the box, to truly imagine and articulate a strategy to unleash the full market potential for the company. A self-starter and leader that assumes the risks and rewards of running an innovative, sustainable operation
- Knowledge of the real estate industry or prior experience with real estate developers, property managers, or any other actors in the industry is a plus
- BA/BS with strong academic record. MBA/Advanced degree a plus
Open date: March 26th, 2019 - Close date: April 23rd, 2019