Happity is a family friendly startup with a big mission. We’re looking for a talented full-stack developer to join us on our journey, helping new parents escape loneliness on the days spent as sole carer for a young child.
We’re building a diverse, talented and highly motivated team of people who are excited about building a next-generation company. We are a startup that fully embraces both the benefits and challenges of remote, flexible working and is passionate about promoting gender equality and parenting rights for dads.
60% of mums go a whole day without adult interaction and a staggering 90% of new mums admit to feeling lonely. Yet there is a plethora of baby and toddler friendly activities on their doorstep waiting to be discovered. Singing, comedy, dancing - did you know there’s even a bring-your-baby coding class? Happity helps parents to find and book these activities. Fast.
We have raised angel investment and the backing of Ignite Accelerator. Our beta site launched in a pocket of South East London and has rapidly grown to over 5,000 monthly users. We are now taking it to the next stage. We believe in building companies on trust, not fear, which means our team works from home in the hours they choose.
About the role
As our first technical hire, you will play a key role in shaping Happity and have ownership over the tech function of the business. We fully expect our product development team to be at the core of our business and we will work with you to build out an exceptional technical team over time.
We are looking for an experienced developer to help us build a cutting-edge platform managing real-time bookings and social sharing features. To date, the platform has been built in-house by our founder, supported by a specialist Rails agency.
You will be working closely alongside the founder to help define, as well as build, the next part of the product. You will need to consider the architecture and technologies used as the product evolves.
Your attitude, ideas, and intelligence matters far than experience, but ideally you:
- Have a passion not just for programming, but for self-improvement and personal development
- Appreciate the importance of testing, performance, security and clean code, as well as how to ship fast.
- Are self-driven and motivated with exceptional communication skills. You know when something should be talked about in-person, or when a simple Slack message will do.
- Have knowledge of a range of programming languages and frameworks built up over several years (whether in a professional setting or not), ideally including significant experience with Rails.
- A solid understanding of cloud hosting, agile working practices, deployment tools and other common technical infrastructure.
- Happy being involved in other parts of the product lifecycle
- Previous experience of working in a remote environment.
- Able to travel to London periodically for in-person meetings, monthly at a minimum.
- An understanding of the market for baby and toddler activities, though not essential, would be beneficial.
- The opportunity for a pivotal role at a startup, helping thousands of people at a time of life when they most need it.
- Ability to work from home, with flexibility on your working hours.
- Autonomy in a collaborative and supportive environment.
- A team that encourages cross-function mentoring and radical candor to help everyone perform at their best.
- Access to an extensive mentoring network and startup community through Ignite.
- Rails, RSpec, AWS, Heroku, Postgres, JS, Sass
We are open to considering a job-share or part-time work if appropriate, and share options as part of the compensation package.
Salary range £35,000 — 50,000 (pro rata)
How to Apply
- Send us your CV and tell us:
- why you'd like to work at Happity
- one favourite feature of the site
- a skill or interest you're looking to develop (personal or technical)
- You must have the right to live and work in the UK.
Closing Date: This post will close when we find the right person. :)
No recruiters please.