At Learnlight we empower our clients' talent to excel in a complex and demanding business world. Our solutions include global language training programs, specialized language courses, professional soft skills workshops, intercultural training and competency assessment tools.
We want you to help us transition from a traditional multi-page web app to a React single-page web app.
The Learnlight Platform is a Learner Management System (LMS) that manages many all aspects of language a skills training by all the actors involved: learners, trainers, content creators, corporate clients, and administrators.
The current platform was created in 2007 using the best practices at the time and has been updated along the years. It is currently a monolithic application divided into 3 tiers: web front-end (custom-made HTML5, JS, CSS), application server (ASP.NET MVC5 + API 2), and database server (PostgreSQL 9.5).
We are currently starting a full redesign of the platform architecture which will break it into several smaller applications and micro-services. Key changes include moving into a Single Page Application (SPA) model in the front-end, driven by React and using accessible and reactive layout frameworks, all interacting with a pure GraphQL API server implemented in Node.js.
- Code, test, document and maintain the new Learnlight Platform, mainly as a front-end developer (HTML, CSS, ES6, React, GraphQL) but occasionally as database developer (PostgreSQL, SQL, plSQL) and a back-end developer (ES6 on Node.js, Express, GraphQL).
- Maintain the current Learnlight Platform until the new Learnlight Platform supersedes it. This will include applying small functionality enhancements and bug fixes to the current, traditional HTML5, JS & CSS front-end.
- Support the development team in various disciplines that go beyond programming, as needed, including helping the QA team.
- Participate, as required, in the design and planning of future functionality of the platform.
Desired Skills and Expertise Culture and Language
- Proficient in English 100% of the time. Spanish and other languages an optional plus.
- Experience abroad or in multicultural environments preferred.
- Enthusiasm, initiative, commitment, with the ability to learn independently.
- Experience with the design and development of modern web applications, including the general concepts of authentication, authorization, encryption, transactions, state, logging and serialization.
- Extensive real-world experience building responsive web applications in HTML, CSS, JS, React and related technologies.
- Familiarity with fundamental Windows and/or Linux server concepts.
- Experience with other programming languages, frameworks and programming paradigms.
- Experience with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem.
- Experience with GraphQL and its ecosystem.
- Familiarity with relational database technologies, concepts and languages, including writing queries and stored procedures.
- Familiarity with C# and .NET framework fundamentals, including the CLR, BCL, ASP.NET MVC/API and ADO.NET.
- Familiarity with DevOps disciplines (building, testing, packaging, committing, continuous integration, configuration, deployment, monitoring, etc.) and popular tools.
- Familiarity with project management and agile practices and methodologies.
- Either a computing degree or 2+ years of experience in the areas of responsibility mentioned above