We are looking for Front-end Engineers to join our growing team. Smarkets adopts a fluid, self-managing style which allows our teams the freedom to make technical decisions together, with little hierarchy - giving our engineers the opportunity to be genuinely autonomous. With our mission being to revolutionise one of the oldest industries in the world, we’re looking for engineers who are motivated by rethinking the method and model of betting. This role is focussed on building a great experience for our users and will require excellent team collaboration across design, marketing and other parts of engineering.
Our Front-end tech stack is built around React and React Native, with the latest ES6 features and libraries.
More specifically, your responsibilities will be:
- To write clean, modular and testable code with consistent code style
- Develop new features for our existing platform with a strong focus on making customer experience memorable for the right reasons
- Contributing to the engineering culture at Smarkets, sharing your knowledge and ideas with others, and being open to working in different ways
- To define your own role within the context of self-management (we’ll help you with this)
- Build the user interface and design language across different platforms
- Work experience with HTML, CSS, JS and an understanding of the best practices
- Good familiarity with React, REST APIs and Websockets
- Experience using the latest web stacks or libraries
- The things you work on will get used by millions of customers, so you will be focussed on quality - you’ll write clean, componentized and well-tested code, heavily favouring reuse
- Experience in developing cross-platform mobile applications
- Experience writing native mobile applications
- Experience in Objective C/Swift or Java
- Comfortable in a Linux environment
We've built one of the world's largest betting exchanges with significantly better odds than the competition. Our strength is technology and trading with a passion to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology. With our self-management structure, flexible work environment and unlimited holiday allowance, Smarkets offers a unique opportunity to be part of a great work culture. Our office in St Katharine’s Docks (Tower Hill) comes complete with a fantastic roof terrace and a team of in-house chefs cooking breakfast and lunch every day.
The salary range for engineers at
Smarkets is £40,000-£65,000 per year, including stock options and other
benefits. Your salary will be determined by experience.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.