From smartphones to connected cars, location data is changing the way we live and the way business happens. CARTO is the platform that turns location data into more efficient delivery routes, better behavioural marketing, strategic store placements and more.
Everyone, from business analysts to data scientists, use our software and location data to understand where and why things happen, optimize business processes, and predict future outcomes.
Backed by leading VC firms Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, CARTO is poised to lead the LI space.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our FrontEnd team. You will work within our Location Intelligence Platform, which includes several applications, such as our Dashboard, and a set of libraries and projects related to visualization, analysis and management of geospatial data (Web SDK, CARTOframes, kepler.gl...).
Location: this position is based out of our Madrid or Sevilla, Spain office, but you can also work remotely (in fact, part of our team is already doing so). If you work remotely, some sporadic trips to Madrid will be required, to gather with your coworkers or to attend some relevant events. In any case, no more than 5% of your time.
What will you learn on the job?
- You will commit to the most relevant library for maps visualization nowadays. Be ready to talk with top geospatial engineers from companies like Microsoft, Uber, Google, Nvidia, etc.. CARTO developed the MVTLayer to move Deck.gl from layers <1GB to unlimited.
- You will work on building CARTO Web SDK, the frontend library to develop applications on top of our platform. Be ready to build the building blocks for other developers.
- You’ll learn about modern FrontEnd, mapping and geospatial development. And if you already have experience in those fields, we’ll be happy to learn from you.
What will your daily job consist of?
- You will work in several projects, with pretty big codebases; and there you’ll help adding new features in 2-weeks iterations (eg. visualizing new products in our Dashboard), working side by side with our Design team. You’ll create modular components, using several different frameworks such as VueJS or React. Which one is used is not as relevant to us as how: small components, unit tests, documentation...
- On a periodic basis, you’ll also help to fix issues in our more mature projects, being part of our Response Team.
What results will we expect from you?
- You will help us develop a set of well designed components for UI, in location intelligence applications (either CARTO web applications or in custom integrations with 3rd party products).
What does success look like on the job?
- After a few months, you will be a full member of the team, with enough experience to work in several and quite different projects. You’ll have learned more about our Platform so you’ll be able to have bigger autonomy. You’ll also contribute to other coworkers growth, with practices such as pairing or leapfrog projects...
- A solid 5+ years experience as a developer, with a mature approach to the job (git/github, documentation, testing, profiling...).
- +3 years of experience with web development at the frontend side. We need you to know either Vue or React or Angular.
- You have worked before with at least one of the following mapping libraries: Google Maps, Leaflet, OpenLayers, Cesium, Mapbox GL, Deck.gl)
- Experience building frontend libraries
- Fluid communication skills.
- A good English level (really!, a big chunk of our communication is in English).
- Autonomy, curiosity & good energy.
- A true will to teach & learn from your coworkers (pair programming, code reviews…).
Nice to have
- Experience with Kepler.gl
- Experience in Computer Graphics is also appreciated (d3, three.js, WebGL…)
- Competitive, results-based compensation, between 35K-45K€ yearly
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment at the center of Madrid
- A bright, comfortable office, stocked with snacks, good coffee, and even a ping-pong table and cinema :)
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).