We are looking for an experienced software engineer and technical leader to join our architecture team. The members of this team work closely with engineering teams and leadership to provide architectural expertise, design mentorship and to improve visibility into cross-team technical issues.
If you’re ready for this job, you’ve spent years designing and building high-availability, high-scale, production systems and have plenty of front-line experience in the past, but now you’re more interested in how scalable systems work together than in optimizing that routine. You’ve made mistakes (probably lots of them) learned from them and have been a part of phenomenal successes.
At many companies, the Architects are gatekeepers and enforcers. They’re the people who tell you that the project violates the hosting policy or that you really shouldn’t design system to generate and capture an HTTP request for every customer page load - but its not our style here, we do things differently!
We expect a leader, not a gatekeeper. Sure, sometimes a leader has to say no, but that isn’t really the heart of the job. A leader should lead and paint the vision of where we’re going and make sure that everyone has what they need to get there. We hire awesome engineers. Help them see into the future, make decisions that support each-other and avoid mistakes that will be expensive to fix later, then those awesome engineers can deliver outstanding results.
We also expect our Architects to be strong stakeholders for our most technical product developments, working closely with their partners from Product Management and Design. It is only by finding the right balance between technology, market and experience that we’ll deliver the right thing.
- Building innovative experiences to explore our customers’ full-stack telemetry data and improving some of the existing individual experiences (mainly New Relic Infrastructure). In the process, we have to ensure technologies and experiences are compatible with every step.
- Globally distributed development organization with teams spanning a ten nine-hour swath of timezones. The only way to keep all those teams in sync is to document as much as we can. Therefore, you need to bring expertise in written communications.
- Working and interacting closely with the platform teams (across CET and PST time zones) who are in charge of developing the UI SDK and tooling used to enable the company to build products quickly and easily but also act as a binding between product and platform by working in cross-functional initiatives.
- Partner with one of our Directors of Engineering where you will help them formulate their technical roadmap and assist their teams. To succeed, you will need to rapidly learn and master the technologies and architecture of the systems in the group!
- Every week our engineers face new and exciting challenges. Because we’re always pushing the boundaries on the scale, many of these are things we’ve never seen before. However, that doesn’t mean they’ve never been seen anywhere else before. help the organization learn from the rest of the world.
- 5+ years of technical leadership with top-level engineering teams
- Experience building and operating sophisticated UI/UX
- Deep knowledge on browsers, both at their API level and their internals (JS engines; browser performance - reflow, repaint, GPU vs CPU; Service Workers; CDNs; HTTP protocol; etc.).
- Good knowledge of algorithms, data structures, and ability to debug large-scale codebases using the available tools.
- Collaborative and able to influence across the organization.
- An advanced degree (MS or Ph.D.) in a STEM field
- Full-stack knowledge of systems fundamentals
- Published papers or presentations demonstrating written communication skills
Our hiring process
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse background and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.