Fon was founded in 2006 with the goal of blanketing the world with WiFi. Today the company is a global WiFi leader with more than 20 million crowdsourced hotspots. Fon is a technology provider for world leading telcos such as British Telecom, Deutsche Telekom, Vodafone, Oi Brazil, SoftBank, Telstra and many more.
Fon has been innovative since its inception and has disrupted the telecommunications business with our Community WiFi product and with our WiFi for businesses solutions. The usage of WiFi keeps growing and the users demand more WiFi coverage, better service and excellent user experience. There are a lot of opportunities to innovate in such a demanding and flourishing business, bringing new technologies and business models around WiFi.
The Project and the team:
We never stop innovating and we want to build the products that will change the way telcos provide WiFi.
The candidate will join the Innovation Team. This team is highly technical and product focused and is in charge of developing new products and business models for Fon. This team is highly experienced in developing high standard WiFi products for telco business developing embedded systems that has allowed Fon to sell more than 3M of this units and to install our Software solutions in more than 15M WiFi Routers from our partners in the telco industry.
The candidate will work primarily in OpenWrt programming in C and other classic Linux Embedded system tools. He/she will be able to work and test different types of Hardware, foster his own innovation skills proposing and testing his own ideas and more important, the candidate will be able to work, learn and develop himself as a professional with real life products, problems and solutions that are highly demanded.
To succeed in this role:
- You are a programmer that likes to see a reason behind his work
- You are someone that is ultimately driven by a purpose: we want to build technology and solutions for real life problems and we want people that understand this as a key factor in their jobs
- You enjoy working within a team, with different roles, skills and experiences but with a common goal
- You always aim for highest standards and delivers results
The project is very innovative and it requires to be creative and with a strong bias for action, it is important to be able to adapt to changing conditions and to propose solutions to unexpected situations.
- You have a University degree in Computer Science or Telecommunications Engineering
- C / C++ programming, particularly in embedded systems with Linux or similar systems
- You have good read and written English skills
- You have between 2-5 years of experience
- Being a geek.
- Experience in OpenWRT or similar Linux systems.
- Good communication and analytical skills, including strong ability to identify and solve ambiguous problems
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Knowledge of networking, communications and remote management systems.
- Hands-on experience with 802.11 protocols
- Never ending thirst for making our development environments better
- Cross-compilation environments and virtualization tools