FilledThis offer is not available anymore
Algolia is looking for an engineering manager in Paris to take on a leadership position. Your role will be to set up your team for success, helping them to grow in all directions (from development to communication and productivity) while ensuring they achieve their short-term objectives and long-term goals.
As an engineering manager you know how to prioritize your actions: when to work for your team, when to do individual contributions to help them and when to challenge them without micromanaging.
As an experienced developer, you still love being hands-on to solve problems when needed. You can work with different technologies, languages and frameworks and you’re not afraid to adapt to an unknown technical stack.
As a leader, you enjoy mentoring, people development and hiring. You have done it before and want to keep learning in this field.
Your mission will be to generate and encourage a supportive, inclusive and collaborative environment to motivate the team to produce their best work and be happy to come in to work everyday.
This is a full-time opportunity in Paris. Relocation package and work permit are provided when applicable.
Coming right from Alexandre, one of our engineering managers: "As an Engineering Manager at Algolia, you have the opportunity to work alongside super talented people on a great product. You can really have an impact, helping teams achieve their best as well as fostering individual growth and development."
YOUR ROLE WILL CONSIST OF:
- Help the team plan, execute and ship releases respecting timelines and high quality development, working closely with the product and leadership teams
- Coach and mentor engineers to excel at their work and grow
- Hire and onboard engineers to build a diverse and excellent team
- Lead by example, coding alongside your team when necessary
- Be a culture advocate within the company living by our core values
- Continuously work on our Engineering Brand, producing content, attending events, leading some talks and being creative
- Implement process as needed like weekly syncs, team's handbooks
YOU MIGHT BE A FIT IF YOU HAVE:
- Deep interest in people and mentoring
- At least 5 years of software development experience
- Successful team management or lead experience
- A passion for shipping quality code
- Great oral and written communication in English
A TYPICAL DAY AS AN ENGINEERING MANAGER:
- First thing in the morning is a one on one with one of your team member. Respecting the maker's schedule of your teammates you booked those meetings early in the morning, right after lunch or at the end of the day. That way people can have long uninterrupted sessions of work. Ideally you prepared this session for it to be efficient
- Right after that, you check any important mention you got by email, GitHub or Slack, to see if someone needs your immediate attention or advice on their work
- Your team is growing so you check the recruiting tool to see if there are any good candidate in the pipe, you will ping the recruiting team if so
- It's lunch time!
- After lunch you have a screening call with an engineer for your team, again you prepared this by making sure to read the candidate profile and being clear about the current needs in your team
- Now it's time to get some individual contribution. At Algolia depending on the team you are managing you will spend between 20% and 50% of your time on individual contributions. Today you'll fix the continuous integration build for your team to be efficient
- After that you have a design meeting with the product manager of your team where you will spend time together with another engineer designing a new feature on your product
- Now one of your teammate wants you to review a presentation for a meetup they will attend, it's nice to be involved in it and be able to make people grow in different skills
- Finally, you start wrapping up the day by preparing the next day: You have a weekly team meeting where everyone will update on the status of their projects along with bringing any discussion wort having as a group
- As an engineering manager you are used to those days sliced in many small events. Context switching is part of your job and one you are good at, while still being able to have focused individual contributions when needed
WE'RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN LIVE OUR VALUES:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- HUMILITY- Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Business Travel Insurance
- Relocation support
- Company Canteen (high standard)
- Flexible work hours and unlimited time off
- Competitive pay and equity
- Your choice of computer, phone, keyboard, you name it. Everything you need to be efficient
- Coaching and sponsorship to participate and speak at leading industry conferences
- Ongoing professional education opportunities through internal & external workshops, including public speaking, language learning (English/French)
- Fun: we spend time together — team building, socializing and making tools that encourage getting to know teammates across offices and continents.
- Charitable contribution matching
- Unique referral rewards program: refer a candidate, and we’ll donate to your charity of choice
- Corporate flats available for the first months of relocation and when you travel to different offices
- Fully stocked kitchens
- Team workouts
- Meals & happy hours
Algolia company page is empty
Add a description and pictures to attract more candidates and boost your employer branding.