Mobility is a basic human need. The desire to move has taken humanity to every corner of the world. Cabify is on a mission of improving our cities by granting to access all kinds of mobility — cars with chauffeur, electric bikes, scooters, public transport or even walking. This vision has been trusted by investors and customers, making us the first unicorn in Spain.
Our more than 1.000 employees over 12 countries are the best executors in the mobility industry, which makes us more efficient than our much larger competitors.
The Product department, includes 250+ people and is rapidly growing as Cabify expands to offer new mobility solutions.
About the role
As an Engineering Manager at Cabify, you will be responsible for leading and guiding the most important part of our engineering organisation - our people.
Finance & Compliance is a transversal team at Cabify with high interaction with other teams and business areas. This means nurturing our culture of collaboration, communication, and coordination between and within teams.
At Finance & Compliance, we operate behind the scenes on different areas that support the user-facing apps with critical features including:
- Timely and accurately handling payments to partner companies
- Fairly and effectively charging our riders
- Accurately and flexibly invoicing our corporate clients
- Supporting the internal Finance business unit and their operations to be more effective
- Allowing Cabify to adapt to local regulations for the mobility services
All these tasks deeply impact Cabify ability to be a profitable business, and they involve processing data in high volumes with precision and speed, offering a unique challenge from a purely engineering point of view.
We practice continuous integration, have strong ownership of our services, strive for high observability, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
Finance & Compliance is made up of squads that follow the 2 pizza rule. This means their optimal size is around 7 engineers, plus Product Manager, Business Manager and Quality Enabler persons.
Prior to taking on engineering management, you likely were a senior individual contributor with a comprehensive understanding of complex systems that you were a vital part of developing & launching over the years. This has given you the perspective to help other engineers prioritise their tasks, shape their career decisions, and face tricky challenges.
- Lead a team of diverse and talented software engineers with different levels of expertise
- Drive technical projects to success and provide leadership in a fast-paced environment
- Think critically about the long-term career development of team members
- Conduct regular check-ins and 1-1s with team members
- Communicate across cross-functional teams such as Product, Analytics, Marketing, Creative, and Design
- Contribute technically to projects by being a hands-on coder as necessary and removing roadblocks. We expect Managers to code at least 40% of their time, this is not a pure management position
- Lead prioritisation efforts and provide mentorship to others
- Be the Best Friend of team’s Product Manager, working in tandem to analyse problems and execution plans
- Deeply care about the happiness of others
- Directly report (and get support from) the Head of Engineering in Finance & Compliance
You should have
- A knack for effective and clear communication in all circumstances
- Hands-on people management and/or technical leadership experience
- A passion for bringing great products into our world through collaboration and ingenuity
- Extensive professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users
- An appreciation for engineering best practices and quality over quantity of work
- Ability to handle ambiguous problems and make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
- Experience working with remote and partially remote team members
- Ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, microservices, and relational/NoSQL/cloud databases
- Experience in Ruby, Go and/or Elixir
- Experience with distributed system communication, performance analysis and optimisation
- Excellent Salary conditions at Engineering: 45k-70k
- Work from our Madrid office, remotely or both
- Flexible work environment & hours
- A well defined Career Path, personal development programmes and personal budget for conferences and training
- Cabify staff discount
- Flexible remuneration: subsidised restaurant tickets, transport tickets, healthcare and childcare
- A pet room so you don’t have to leave your furry friend at home
- Regular fun team events
- All the gear you need - just bring yourself.
Cabify is proud of being an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees regardless of background, gender, religion, orientation, age or ability. Join us!