Lingokids’ mission is to break down language barriers and provide equal opportunities for kids all around the world.
To help deliver our educational content to millions of families, we’re looking for an exceptional Engineering Manager
At Lingokids we encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We actively seek to hire individuals with different perspectives and we are eager to continue diversifying our company's culture. We strive to be an inclusive, supportive place where you can do the best work of your career.
Our offices are in Madrid, Spain but the position is open to anyone with experience working remotely. Some overlap with Central European Time is expected though, for those times when a video call is the most efficient way to communicate.
About the role:
The Engineering Manager role at Lingokids is responsible for the well-being and productivity of a cross-functional team.
More specifically, you will:
- Manage a team of 4-8 engineers, including a Tech Lead, enabling their day-to-day work and ensuring their professional development.
- Provide support to engineers within the team: helping to scope and prioritise work, mentoring, assisting in resolving blockers, and arbitrating any technical disputes.
- Take responsibility for delivery management and ensure the team is performing effectively by shipping a quality product often.
- Collaborate closely with the team’s Tech Lead, Product Manager and other stakeholders to ensure that we’re building the right things.
- Support the team’s Tech Lead to ensure the tech strategy exists and is also prioritised, that the system is maintainable and tech debt managed
- Guide engineers towards practical, incremental designs that can garner useful external feedback quickly, without compromising on the long-term flexibility of the system.
- Assist the team in setting, tracking and achieving measurable goals which align with the company strategy.
- Maintain morale and a strong engineering culture, ensuring wellbeing and retention within your team.
- Attract candidates and grow the team through hiring. Improve our hiring practices and processes.
We are hiring an Engineering Manager, for our Growth Product.
Growth Product consists of three teams: New User Experience (NUX), Monetisation and Acquisition.
NUX focuses on delighting new users in their initial days and weeks with us. Monetisation uses analytics and experimentation to segment and serve users best, and create and optimise new product offerings. Acquisition work to help us acquire new customers more efficiently.
The ideal teammate for us would be someone who believes that communication, empathy, inquisitiveness, and open-mindedness are fundamental to being successful in any endeavour.
You should have:
- The ability to manage and lead with empathy, supporting those on your team to achieve their best. You are a Servant Leader.
- Experience managing and leading a team of 4+ engineers.
- The ability to attract, hire and retain top engineering talent
- A technical background and strong analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to partner with people from different disciplines within the organisation.
- A good understanding of how a business operates and ability to reason about tradeoffs.
- Experience working within a large-scale consumer product is preferable but not required.
English is a must. We are a multicultural team, and we are providing a service in English so, we don't care about certificates, but we expect you to be able to communicate fluently.
You should feel equally comfortable communicating in long-form writing. Given the circumstances, we have become a fully remote company. We believe that being articulate in both spoken and written long-form asynchronous communication is key to working efficiently together.
Experience working closely with non-technical stakeholders to refine requirements and bring them to life is a must. We expect our Engineering Manager to be the driving force for the entire development lifecycle.
🏡 Unlimited remote working: you can choose to work from home indefinitely or attend our Madrid headquarters whenever you feel like it. This position is open to anyone within +/- 2 hours of the CET timezone.
⚖️ Flexible hours and work-life balance: we care about the results you bring to the team. 9 to 6 and constant commuting is not for us either.
📈 Stock options: joining Lingokids means you can choose to own part of the company.
🌍 Visa sponsorship: if you need a visa to work in the EU, Lingokids will assist you during the visa process, costs included.
📚 Professional growth: up to €2.000 per year for conferences, books and training.
💬 Language lessons: language learning is what we’re all about! We’ll cover language classes for you to learn Spanish, English or Portuguese.
🩺 Health care: we have optional health insurance as flexible retribution and 4 online therapy sessions for free to help your self-awareness and wellbeing.
💳 Flexible compensation: you'll be able to include your monthly expenses in meals and transportations into your payroll.
🍲 Meal allowances: every month, you will receive a 60€ voucher for you to spend on the restaurants and food delivery services you like the most.
🖥 Home office setup: you'll have a 400€ voucher to set up your home office and a 35€ monthly allowance for remote expenses.
🙌 Feedback culture: feedback is the breakfast of champions, and we take it seriously. We have a real-time and hones feedback culture, with a formal feedback session every month.
If you think you don't tick all the boxes, we'd still love to hear from you. Nobody checks every box, and we are looking for someone excited to join the team.