Skyscanner operates in a Tribes and Squads model and we have built an engineering culture where there is a high level of trust, autonomy and transparency. Our engineers work in autonomous squads where they can create their own backlog, ship code whenever they want and don’t have dependencies in order to deliver to the traveller. Our engine uses global scale services, big data and machine learning to collect, normalise and make sense of real time information from our thousands of partners. Skyscanner can offer you large scale, complex problems where you can reach 70 million users whilst enjoying a high level of autonomy and influence and a flexible working environment where you can thrive. Our engineering principles are:
- We have a clear definition of success for every piece of work.
- We ship multiple times a day and deliver customer value week in, week out.
- We use design reviews to validate every significant change.
- We deliver our products using our defined technology standards.
- We peer review every change.
- Our Definitions of Done include being live in production… responsibly.
- You build it, you run it.
These are organic beliefs. We iterate. We learn. We grow. And our principles adapt with us
We're looking for technical team managers who are product enthusiasts with expertise in leading, managing and developing people towards reaching both their career goals as well as the ever scaling objectives of Skyscanner and a passion for leading and advocating change, innovation and engineering best practice.
What you can expect as an Engineering Manager
- Lead, coach and mentor a squad of backend developers primarily working in Java, leading them to find simple solutions to complex problems at scale.
- Work closely with senior management to establish project aims, objectives and requirements and communicate direction and progress.
- Ensure that the user needs are at the forefront when building creative and robust products.
- Have the opportunity to influence the search engine at the very core of Skyscanner.
- Work closely with engineers and product managers, providing technical leadership to define the roadmap and deliver new features to the market.
- Lead your squad in the design and development of systems that keep our travel search solutions ahead of the pack.
- Monitor your squad’s progress including timescale, quality and delivery
- On top of all of that, you’ll have a hands-on role in the planning, execution and successful delivery of state of the art solutions. You'll mentor our technical staff and be actively involved in recruiting our future engineering talent.
What we are looking for
Engineering Managers with ability and flair for technically leading and developing people while collaborating and inputting technically as a Java engineer in your own right.
As a minimum, a Computer Science degree or similar is required; ideally experienced in a product technology company; proficiency in object-oriented programming, automated testing, Java development, distributed systems and database technologies
What else can we offer you……
We are proud to have a working environment that sets our employees up for success, as well as all the usual perks such as barista coffee, fizzy & fresh drinks, fresh & dried fruit, veg, hummus, popcorn and we can help with ‘down-time’ in the office that includes table tennis, pool table, foosball, xbox, office scooters, and massage chairs. We also provide for your health with medical insurance, health screening options, gym membership, headspace subscription and an employee assistance programme to support you and your loved ones. Then it gets really interesting, and you can buy more holiday, donate to a good cause, take part in 2 hackdays per year, and 1 charity day, work from your home country for up to 3 weeks, spend up to 30 days working from another of our offices globally. You also have the option to take part in our extended annual leave which is an additional 3 weeks’ break (unpaid) after 3 years’ service or take 5 weeks’ break (paid) after 5 years’ service.
- - ‘Skyscanner University’ offers a range of courses for tech and business topics.
- - At Skyscanner there’s no clocking in and there’s no bell at the end of the day, they prefer to give you the freedom and autonomy to do your job, add value and own your work.
- - Better than average annual leave in all office locations.
- - There’s enhanced maternity and paternity leave and a flexible working policy to encourage and enable a healthy work-life balance.