Engineering Manager in Barcelona
Wallapop is a Barcelona-based scale-up driven by the purpose to empower people to embrace a more conscious and human way of consumption. We believe in a world where collaborative economy is mainstream. This is what drives us.
Wallapop operates in Spain and Italy, offering a catalog of several hundreds of millions of products and services. Powered by technical innovation and continuous improvement, we bring together the scale & trust of classifieds with the marketplace’s convenience & reach. Our mission is to enable a connected trade ecosystem, making 2nd-hand the norm through smart use of technology.
Backed by top investors such as Accel, Insight Partners & Naver Corp we bring our total valuation to 690 million EUR and are embarking on our international journey with the aim to become the world’s best unique goods trading platform.
As an Engineering Manager, you will be in charge of a team, supporting them with your leadership and management skills.
What will you do:
- Lead engineering for a topic team to ship high-quality software on predictable schedules
- Make sure that the meetings are effective
- Coaches people & the organization
- Provide vision, sense of purpose and visibility to teams
- Implement process improvements
- Have regular one on ones with engineers, where you will:
- Set expectations, provide regular feedback & keep team members accountable (Conduct performance reviews)
- Develop a strong two-way feedback loop where you share organizational context and build a deep understanding of the engineer and how they work
- Support engineers and help reach a resolution when challenges arise
- Craft a fulfilling and engaging work experience through regular career growth and development conversation
- Iterate and improve our engineering processes and technical culture
- Participate in hiring and on-boarding of engineers
- Maintain a strong and up-to-date understanding of the challenges and opportunities your team is facing building and deploying software. Most of your time won’t be spent coding, but you should get your hands in the code regularly to maintain context.
What We’re Looking For
- You have experience leading engineering teams, either as a team lead, or as a senior engineer/technical lead
- You have a deep understanding of how software is built and deployed
- Full stack engineering knowledge with any server-side language (Java/Kotlin preferred) would be helpful
- You have very strong verbal and written English and Spanish communication skills
- You’re comfortable with participatory management / servant leadership
- You have a track record of holding a team accountable to goals and aligned with company-wide strategic priorities, while maintaining high levels of autonomy on your team
- Positive attitude, excellent problem solving and critical thinking
- Quality driven, attention to detail and pragmatic
- Excellent communication skills, adaptable and eager to learn
Do note that all our jobs are Barcelona based. We work in a mostly remote capacity offering great flexibility to our employees, but we believe in the power of getting together regularly in our office. We commit to a minimum of 4 days per month in the office, whereas the frequency depends on the team dynamic"
Wallapop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees as we want Wallapop to be a place for everyone.
We sponsor visa processes for international candidates when applicable and provide legal & admin support along the process combined with a competitive relocation package.
Additionally to the opportunity to contribute to an agile product set up and work together towards achieving our meaningful mission, we offer the following Perks & Benefits:
- An international team operating in 2 official working languages (English & Spanish), there is never a dull day in our team!
- Brand-new, modern and inspirational office space with stunning views and a sunny terrace. All built with sustainable and recyclable materials!
- TOP hardware of your choice (latest Apple or Windows)
- 26 holidays per year
- Flexible working hours + intensive Fridays
- Generous individual learning budget of 2k per year + our very own Wallalibrary
- Group and individual English & Spanish lessons as part of our working day
- Private Health Insurance with Cigna
- Flexible remuneration to deduct from gross salary (kindergarten/food/transport check)
- TeamBuilding activities and branded Merchandising
- AndJoy Gym plan + virtual sports classes
- Referral Program & Charity Donation
- Extended newborn & adoption leave
- Bonus for weddings & newborns
- Wallarenta (Tax income support)
- Monthly plan for free shipping, bumps & home-pick-up on our services
- Surprise gifts when celebrating birthdays
- Wallanniversary loyalty program
- 30EUR as part of your monthly payroll to contribute towards your WIFI
- One-off payment based on compensation package to go towards setting up your wallahome office
- Relocation package (monetary support and legal advice), if applicable
What does the hiring process look like? **Please, note that all interviews take place remotely over hangouts.**
Intro Call - run by talent acquisition. It will take around 45 minutes and will focus on giving you more information about the role and the company as well as going over your experience and expectations.
Task-to be completed by the candidate to present back during the expertise interview
Expertise interview - run by the team, focusing on hard-skills and domain knowledge required for the role. This usually takes 60-90 minutes
Stakeholder Interview - run by relevant stakeholders. Ability to collaborate and deliver in a cross-functional set up.
Culture interview-Focus on adherence to our business proposition and commitment
Offer - should you be the right candidate, your offer will be discussed over a call with talent acquisition and will then be confirmed in writing.
Wallapop is a pure mobile marketplace that helps people find the best opportunities to buy and sell nice things nearby. But beyond that, what we really want to do is offer the best street trade experience to all our users around the world. In order to achieve this we are looking for some special people...
- - Amazing office space.
- - Apple or PC equipment of your choice.
- - Specialised training.
- - Health insurance.
- - Amazing offsites twice a year.
- - International team (now 10 nationalities) .
- - Help with apartment searches.