Lingokids’ mission is to break down language barriers and provide equal opportunities for kids all around the world.
To help deliver our educational content to millions of families, we’re looking for an Engineering lead.
At Lingokids we encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We actively seek to hire individuals with different perspectives and we are eager to continue diversifying our company's culture. We strive to be an inclusive, supportive place where you can do the best work of your career.
Our offices are in Madrid, Spain but the position is open to anyone with experience working remotely. Some overlap with Central European Time is expected though, for those times when a video call is the most efficient way to communicate.
About the job:
As the Engineering Lead for our Learning and Content Delivery (LCD) squad you will take ownership, build upon, and improve:
- The systems providing the right learning content at the right time for children.
- The infrastructure, tools, and frameworks used by our content production Studio.
As well as line managing and providing technical leadership to the engineers in the team.
More specifically, you will:
- Use your analytical skills to understand the needs of our interactive and media squads, and turn them into simple, well-documented, scalable, and secure services for them.
- Together with learning experts, build the future versions of the Lingokids curriculum and solutions to track the learning progression of children which feeds the adaptive recommendation engine.
- Document technical and architectural decisions for the benefit of both engineering and product audiences.
- Help continuously improving our majestic monolith (Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Redis, and Sidekiq) to keep it lean and modular.
- Own your work from development to production and ensure its quality, maintainability, and supportability.
- Line manage 4-5 engineers within the squad (including 1-1s; performance management; career development).
- Provide technical leadership to engineers within LCD squad: helping to scope and prioritise work, mentoring, helping to resolve blockers, and arbitrating any technical disputes.
- Take part in hiring and growing the team.
The ideal teammate for us would be someone who believes that communication, empathy, inquisitiveness, and open-mindedness are fundamental to being successful in any endeavour.
You should have:
- A deep understanding of the backend stack: HTTP, Relational Databases, Background Processing Systems, Asynchronous Messaging Systems.
- Experience in both horizontal and vertical scaling of backend systems.
- An appreciation for good User Experience.
- A DevOps mentality of owning a service all the way to production.
- A good understanding of how a business operates and reason about tradeoffs.
- The ability to manage and lead with empathy, supporting those on your team to achieve their best. You are a servant leader.
English is a must. We are a multicultural team and we are providing a service in English so, we don't care about certificates but we expect you to be able to communicate fluently.
You should feel equally comfortable communicating in long-form writing. Given the circumstances, we have become a fully remote company and we are firm believers that being articulate in both spoken and written long-form asynchronous communication is key to working efficiently together.
If you think you don't tick all the boxes, we'd still love to hear from you. Nobody checks every box, and we are looking for someone excited to join the team.