Zinio / Naviga is looking for a Director of Software Engineering – Front End, for their Barcelona office.
“Delivering innovative digital magazine content on every device in every country”
Zinio brings innovation and inspiration to the world of magazine publishers and consumers by delivering the ultimate digital reading experience on any device. As a pioneer Zinio operates online web newsstands and award-winning iOS and Android apps, providing access to digital magazines & articles in more than 30 languages, which can be read online and offline on any platform.
Zinio Pro converts print magazines to digital content through a Software as a service (SaaS) platform that transforms PDF to other formats such as XML, ePub, or ANF and distributes it to different platforms such as Amazon Kindle, Apple News, or Zinio Pro’s white label publisher web and mobile apps.
The company has delivered 500M digital magazine editions across more than 6k titles from 1.3k publishers in 200 countries to over 10M customers.
Zinio is the leader in the digital media eCommerce industry and expanding into b2b Software-as-a-Service, as the premier digital platform for magazines.
Naviga, our parent company, is the leading provider of software and services powering the global media industry. Our content management, advertising management, subscription management, OTT, and mobile solutions help companies drive profitability and accelerate digital business models. With regional offices throughout the world, Naviga is a trusted partner serving over 10,000 news media, broadcast, magazine, financial services, and corporate clients in 45 countries.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing software engineering team and lead the frontend part of the development and technical evolution of their platforms and digital content services. The area of responsibility is ample and covers the front-end technology offering, including mobile and web products as well as QA.
The ideal candidate will provide leadership and mentorship as well as business acumen and understanding whilst also being extremely technically minded and capable.
- Lead development across web, iOS, and Android platforms.
- Technical Leadership: the ability to inspire your teammates to deliver quality solutions.
- Design and iterate underlying architecture of software systems.
- Ensure security, privacy, performance, availability, and stability of our front-end.
- Recruit, motivate, mentor, and lead the best application engineering talent.
- Understand ways to lead a team developing in an Agile environment.
- Engage in code reviews and unblock work being performed by other engineers.
- Take the initiative and keep high product quality and velocity.
Required skills & experience:
- 3+ years experience leading teams building highly scalable frontend.
- 3+ years experience working in the cloud (preferred AWS) and in DevOps concepts. CICD, IaaC, Docker, ECS, etc.
- Extensive experience in Agile methodology, especially Scrum.
- Proven experience in applying SOLID principles, design patterns, DDD.
- Strong experience in integrating front end with backend systems at scale, using technologies like RESTFulAPIs, GraphQL APIs, Autoscaling/Load-balancing, CDN, Containers/Microservices.
- Experience with iOS (Swift), Android (Kotlin) development and team leadership is a big plus.
- Thrives in situations where a strong ability to mitigate and solve conflicts is key.
- Extraordinary team player and people person who knows how to balance people first with business priorities.
- Proven track record applying mature mindset and capacity to lead within technology area but also in wider company/business/product context.
- Passion for people and technology.
Nice to have:
- Advanced knowledge of CDNs, AWS.
- Hands-on knowledge of Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, Kong.
- Advanced knowledge of some of the following: SQL and/or MongoDB.
- Experience with mobile application development and deployment via Swift and/or Kotlin.
- Familiarity with leading technologies and trends such as Microservices, Serverless Architecture, AI, Information Security, and/or Risk Management standards and practices.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to work in a multicultural environment and manage a world-class team.
- Amazing office (and views!).
- Training budget.
- Flexible schedule and working from home.
- Flexible salary plan (health insurance, meal, and public transportation cards).
- Fresh fruit, tea & good (unlimited) coffee.