At Appspace, we’re passionate about creating better work experiences for people everywhere, and we’re looking for people that feel the same way. Our global office locations and flexible work culture help you work wherever and however you’re at your best. Plus, we take the time to help you enjoy your work, build lasting connections, and grow your role. Join the Appspace team and be a part of a culture that’s helping people everywhere love where they work.
Your Role as a DevOps/Site Reliability Engineer:
Our Cloud Operations team seeks a passionate DevOps/Site Reliability Engineer who is passionate about learning Appspace’s Cloud Platform to support the needs of our Engineering and Customer Care teams, but also respond to and resolve unexpected behavior, ultimately solving the underlying root cause. The ideal candidate will see all manual work as opportunities to exercise automation, will understand DevOps best practices, have experience automating infrastructure deployments and common solutions to infrastructure issues, systems administration, high availability, and web technologies. You will work closely with a global team of cloud, product, and service professionals to improve our platform’s resiliency and velocity to scale, which directly improves our customers’ experience with Appspace. By accepting this role, you will have substantial opportunities to grow and mature your DevOps capabilities, the opportunity to take on additional responsibilities, advance your career, and be part of an awesome company that is growing rapidly.
Upon joining, you will work with our teams to get up to speed on our architecture, systems, and practices by shadowing with our Cloud and DevOps Engineers. As your knowledge and experience grows, you’ll begin growing the number of roles you will play in maintaining and improving our Cloud Platform and DevOps infrastructure. In addition to your DevOps Engineering role, on occasion you may assist with internal IT duties. The ideal candidate will be focused on DevOps engineering duties but always keeping the big picture in mind regarding customer experience, platform availability, and scalability, therefore change control and thinking through the impact of changes, mitigating impact or scheduling approved maintenance windows before implementing are critical steps to our continued success.
A Day in the Life of a DevOps/Site Reliability Engineer:
For this role, you will install, configure, and maintain multiple compute and container instances running various software/service deployments of all operating systems. You will monitor systems performance and ticket queues to analyze and resolve problems associated with various servers, hardware, applications, and software before these issues are visible to our customers by impacting our applications performance. Maintaining compliance with security standards will be critical to ensuring our customers’ and internal data is kept secure. You will also assist the team with building, testing, integrating, and deploying software across multiple networks using DevOps and continuous delivery best practices. In summary, this role’s daily activities will include:
- Working closely with development teams and the QA department to contribute to the identification, assessment, and integration of wide-ranging technologies and advanced concepts which encompasses the development, refactoring, and re-architecting of systems across our global infrastructure.
- Maintaining the daily health of development, staging, and production systems and environments, including the systems-associated databases (configuration/tuning).
- Troubleshooting systems and software issues, identifying the root cause for either configuration changes or engineering to address. Eventually implementation of the solution in development, QA, staging, and production environments.
- Maintaining and utilizing the build automation system as well as the deployment automation infrastructure.
- Documenting processes and protocols as they are defined throughout our ongoing growth into new technologies and methods.
What You’ll Need:
- Must be able to learn and understand new technologies quickly.
- Must be able to communicate and collaborate well with others.
- Strong background in Linux, macOS, and Windows systems administration (including application build requirements in the various App Stores).
- Experience with automation, configuration management, and Infrastructure as Code (experience with HashiCorp preferred).
- Experience with popular scripting languages such as Python, Powershell, NodeJS, and/or Bash.
- Solid troubleshooting experience and thinking through a process workflow to identify a fault or odd behavior (i.e., spending time following log trails).
- Experience with MySQL & MongoDB.
- Experience with message brokering systems, preferably RabbitMQ.
- Experience implementing Microservices, familiar with Kubernetes or another container orchestrator.
- Must be flexible on occasionally attending remote “off-hour” meetings (we’re a global team supporting a global customer base!).
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with Build pipeline tools and the Atlassian suite (JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket/Git, Bamboo, Octopus).
- Experience with monitoring and alerting platforms, especially StackDriver.
- Desire to improve your scripting/programming skills.
- Experience working with cloud providers such as Google Cloud Platform and AWS.
- A lifelong learner; someone who enjoys learning new systems, services, models, methods and technologies and not satisfied until they gain an expert-level understanding in the skill rather than accommodating the current requirement or problem and moving on.
The Perks of Working for Appspace:
For all our team members, we offer a variety of benefits from competitive salaries, employer paid medical, dental and vision coverage and mental health resources.
Additional perks include:
- Flexible work schedules
- Remote work opportunities
- A casual dress work environment
- 1/2 day Friday's
- Reduced working hours in August
- Gym allowance
- Training allowance
- Training days off
Appspace Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, compensation, and training are decided based on qualifications, merit, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, marital status, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, sexual orientation, family or parental status, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Appspace is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and does not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind.