The Managed Services group at New Relic builds the platform and foundational services for all of our products. As an engineering manager on the Database Engineering team, you’ll work with engineers that are in charge of a critical part of our Full Stack Observability products, as well as our unified dashboarding and data exploration strategy!
Being an integral part of almost every line of New Relic business means we have a lot of internal customers, each with their own urgent needs. Balancing these while moving forward with our own initiatives takes finely tuned risk/reward analysis as well as a customer-focused attitude.
We're also in the middle of a cloud transformation, migrating to datastores on the way. This means we're all learning a lot and experiencing a change in our day-to-day work as well as our technical architecture. You’ll play your part by learning and internalizing this architecture, as it grows and transforms.
Our team is looking for an experienced manager with a passion for people, who can lead and mentor engineers as well as collaborate with multiple teams! This position will report directly to a Senior Director and is available to work from home or any New Relic office.
What You’ll Do
- Lead with a DevOps approach - we build and maintain our software, including taking turns being on-call, and tailoring our on-call alert policies to prevent pager-fatigue
- Ensure the success of database services and software projects through the planning and execution phases within and across teams
- Partner closely with product management, fellow engineering managers, and key decision-makers to set up team priorities and roadmap
- Foster an inclusive environment where diverse perspectives thrive and everyone will grow
- Be responsible for the team roadmap, striking a balance between feature-forward work, maintaining reliable services and paying off technical debt
- Enable a strong and nimble team of engineers with the context, vision, skills and tools they need to succeed
- Lead and grow teams of software engineers that work on the observability and reliability of our data platform
- Prior experience in a technical leadership role (Manager or Team Lead)
- Experience operating distributed data systems at scale
- Experience operating Tier 1 production services
- Experience encouraging and developing early-career engineers along with seasoned professionals
- Experience on a distributed team
- Experience with a variety of Software Development Life Cycles
- Ability to collaborate within your own and across departments
- Experience managing AWS datastores at scale
- Experience operating in a public cloud
- Experience with deployment automation
- Experience with cloud transformation and/or hybrid cloud
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
This position is in our Barcelona office, which was established in October 2014 with our acquisition of Ducksboard, a privately held startup. We provide challenging work, opportunities to learn, high-quality teammates, a standard-setting product, and a company on the move. We offer:
- Competitive salary.
- Equity compensation plan.
- Performance reviews twice a year.
- Work-life balance and flexible schedule.
- Amazing and fun work environment.
- Private health insurance for you and your family, including dental coverage.
- Retirement fund and Life insurance.
- English and Spanish language classes.
- Office located in the center of Barcelona, very close to public transportation.
- We provide ergonomic furniture (chairs, desks) to keep you healthy and comfy.
- Fresh fruits, snacks, and beverages.
- We support technical meetups, both local and international.
- We help with relocation.
We are passionate about data visualizations in real time, APIs, intuitive UX, and beautiful design. We have no dogma but do whatever makes sense to deliver state of the art products.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.