We are on a mission to make science open so everyone can live healthy lives on a healthy planet
Who we are
Frontiers is an award-winning open science platform and leading open access scholarly publisher. We are one of the largest and most cited publishers globally. To date, our 200,000 freely available research articles have received more than 1 billion views and downloads and 2 million citations. Our journals span science, health, humanities and social sciences, engineering, and sustainability and we continue to expand into new academic disciplines so more researchers can publish open access.
To empower scientists and radically improve how science is published, evaluated and disseminated to researchers, innovators and the public, we have built our own state-of-the-art Artificial Intelligence Review Assistant (AIRA).
We are looking for a Data Scientist to join our AI Products Team and help us evolve AIRA.
Your main focus will be developing state-of-the-art machine learning (ML) algorithms for a variety of applications with focus on natural language processing (NLP) and recommender systems. You will work together with product owners, ML engineers and data engineers in order to build ML products that can advance Frontiers’ business.
- Development, optimization and evaluation of ML models and pipelines
- Technological review of data science solutions and communication to management
- Proactive identification of opportunities for potential products within Frontiers
- Effective collaboration with product managers and business stakeholders in order to understand and support their needs
- Degree in Computer Science, Statistics or similar
- Demonstrable experience in ML prototype development
- Experience in ML techniques such as linear/logistic regression, artificial neural networks, random forest, boosting, SVM, k-nn and k-means
- Experience in NLP techniques such as bag of words, text embeddings, LSTMs and transformers for text classification/retrieval
- Experience in recommender systems, collaborative filtering and graph representation learning
- Proficiency in Python, including its data/statistical/NLP packages (e.g. NumPy, SciPy, pandas, scikit-learn, spaCy, HuggingFace transformers, AllenNLP)
- Experience with deep learning frameworks (e.g. PyTorch, Keras, Tensorflow)
- Willingness to share and adopt best work practices on a common codebase (Python packaging, version control, pull requests, testing, continuous integration)
- Experience with SQL
- Familiarity with big data platforms (e.g. Spark, Azure Databricks) is a plus
- Strong analytical skills, critical thinking, and creative problem solving
- Accustomed to fast-paced environments with simultaneous, high-priority tasks
- Solid written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences (fluency in English is a must)
What we Offer
With over 35 nationalities across our offices in London, Lausanne, Madrid, Seattle and Beijing, you can certainly say that we are a diverse company. You will have the opportunity to work with teammates in other offices, as well as with researchers, editors and authors from across the globe.
Our Lausanne HQ (designed for us) is spread over 3 floors, including a large canteen with a Foosball table and a multi-purpose room used for regular free yoga classes. Our other offices are hosted at WeWork and include communal spaces with coffee bars and activities all week. We are very socially active and organize lots of fun activities, ranging from happy hours, parties, sports events and much more.
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holidays + Office Closure over the Christmas period
- Participation in the annual company bonus scheme
- Access to the latest equipment
- Extensive learning opportunities through our Pluralsight and LinkedIn Learning partnership
- Great flexibility for working from home
- English classes.
- Flexible retribution scheme (nursery cheques, restaurant pass, transportation).
- Team building/sport activities and monthly social events.
- Lots of opportunities to work with exciting technologies and solve challenging problems.
- Please submit your application in English (cover letter and resume).
- Applicants must be Spanish or EU citizens, or have a valid Spanish work permit.
Thanks for your time checking the job description, if you think you can match with the role don't hesitate to send us your CV, we’re looking forward to hearing from you!
Frontiers actively embraces diversity and is a safe and welcoming workplace. Recruitment is free from discrimination – including based on race, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or sexual orientation. With over 600 employees from more than 50 different nations, our diversity creates vibrant teams and constantly challenges us to appreciate multiple perspectives.