- 28013 Madrid, Spain
From smartphones to connected cars, location data is changing the way we live and the way business happens. CARTO is the platform that turns location data into more efficient delivery routes, better behavioural marketing, strategic store placements and more.
Everyone, from business analysts to data scientists, use our software and location data to understand where and why things happen, optimize business processes, and predict future outcomes.
Backed by leading VC firms Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, CARTO is poised to lead the LI space.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, experienced and self-motivated Data Scientist to work at the intersection of data science and GIS. In this role, you will be working in the Data Science team to develop new algorithms and derivative data sets that leverage the spatial nature of data to produce more accurate insights and predictions via CARTO’s Location Intelligence platform. You will also work with external clients to help solve their spatial data science problems and to bring new functionality to CARTO as a platform. There will be a strong focus on adapting existing machine learning methods to best work with spatial data and exploring new methods from the fields of spatial econometrics and machine learning.
This position will be working out of our Madrid office - collaborating with a team of diverse and talented Data Scientists with significant experience working with spatial data, and reporting to our VP Strategic Solutions & Data.
- Move quickly to deliver amazing Data Science products, developing creative solutions to our biggest Data Science and Engineering challenges.
- Build machine learning infrastructure and models (e.g. recommendation engines, statistical models, Spatial Models) that drive activity on our platform, scale our business, and enhance the user experience.
- Collaborate with engineering and product leaders, to frame and tackle a problem, both mathematically and within a business context.
- Communicate rationale and findings from analyses to facilitate operational decisions for our clients.
- Design and track experiments for Data Science products as well as analyses throughout the organization.
- Participate in all phases of the Data Science product lifecycle (exploratory data analysis, model development, model productionizing, rollout, and evaluation).
- Present your work both to internal decision makers, and at conferences, meetups and leading workshops around spatial data science
- Keep up to date on new developments from industry and academia and presenting and educating the wider company at CARTO
- Ability to work with clients and other stakeholders to translate business problems into Data Science workflows.
- Education in relevant field or significant experience in Data Science.
- Strong statistical background and experience implementing systems in production.
- Strong foundation in coding skills relevant to Data Science; e.g., Pig, Hive, SQL, Python, R, etc.
- Experience developing production-quality data products using the results of quantitative research.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with (non-technical) senior executives internally and externally. Presentation skills are essential.
- Familiarity with modern data pipelines and ETL practices.
- Fluency in English.
*Bonus Points For*
- Experience working with distributed computing systems like SPARK, BigQuery.
- Experience with working with GIS software: CARTO, QGIS, ArcGIS, etc.
- Experience working with clients in a professional services capacity.
- Fluency or conversational Spanish.
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment at the center of Madrid
- A bright, comfortable office, stocked with snacks, good coffee, and even a ping-pong table and cinema :)
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).
Carto company page is empty
Add a description and pictures to attract more candidates and boost your employer branding.