Frontiers is a community-rooted open access publisher that has attracted over 200’000 researchers as authors and editors. We are a diverse team of data scientists, software engineers, and business people from over 20 different countries with offices in Lausanne, Madrid, and London. We are fast moving and operating in small teams, with freedom for independent work and fast decision making.
We are looking for a Data Scientist who has passion to build data products, to join our Data Research and Innovation team in Madrid.
The main focus of your role will be developing state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms to improve our editorial workflow and our website. You will be given the flexibility to pursue new and interesting techniques (e.g. Deep learning).
• Responsible for the ongoing accuracy and development of key algorithms/metrics used by Frontiers to measure and prioritize editorial work and drive our website/community;
• Identify internal and external data needs for model building/analysis;
• Ensure algorithms are well understood and appropriately used by Frontiers. Includes presenting algorithm summaries/performance to senior management;
• Proactively identify opportunities for processes/analytics within Frontiers;
• Provide ad-hoc analytical support to a broad range of Frontiers teams.
• MSc or PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or similar;
• Great data mining, statistical modelling, and machine learning skills;
• Proficient in at least one scripting language (e.g. Python, R), including its scientific/statistical packages;
• Familiarity in dealing with large, unstructured data sets;
• Strong communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage a project on your own.
Desired Skills and Experience
• Experience with Natural Language Processing and Deep Learning (e.g. word2vec and RNN);
• Experience working with large graph databases;
• Knowledge of SQL and other programming languages such as C# or VB.Net;
• Familiarity with Azure Machine Learning—previous experience is a plus;
• Familiarity with Hadoop, HDInsight, or other big data platforms—previous experience is a plus.
How to apply
Please submit your application in English.
Applicants must be Spanish or EU citizen, or have a valid Spanish work permit.