From smartphones to connected cars, location data is changing the way we live and the way business happens. CARTO is the platform that turns location data into more efficient delivery routes, better behavioural marketing, strategic store placements and more.
Everyone, from business analysts to data scientists, use our software and spatial data to understand where and why things happen, optimize business processes, and predict future outcomes.
Backed by leading VC firms Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, CARTO is poised to lead the Spatial Data Science space.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, experienced and self-motivated Data Scientist to work at the intersection of data science and GIS. In this role, you will be working in the Data Science team to develop new algorithms and derivative datasets that leverage the spatial nature of data to produce more accurate insights and predictions via CARTO’s Location Intelligence platform. You will also work with external clients to help solve their spatial data science problems and to bring new functionality to CARTO as a platform. There will be a strong focus on adapting existing machine learning methods to best work with spatial data and exploring new methods from the fields of spatial econometrics and machine learning.
Ideally this position will be based in our Madrid office - collaborating with a team of diverse and talented Data Scientists with significant experience working with spatial data, and reporting to our Head of Data. We are also open to remote candidates.
- Build data science models, developing creative solutions to solve our customers more complex business problems (statistical and machine learning predictive models, with a focus on spatial models, multivariate analysis, hypothesis testing, probability theory and its applications, etc.).
- Design and run novel data science experiments leveraging CARTO’s Spatial Data Catalog and the capabilities of the most advanced technologies.
- Participate in all phases of the Data Science product lifecycle (exploratory data analysis, model development, model productionizing, rollout, and evaluation).
- Lead research activities for new Spatial Data Science methods that drive activity on our platform, scale our business, and enhance the user experience.
- Collaborate with engineering and product leaders, to frame and tackle a problem, both technically and within a business context.
- Communicate rationale and findings from analyses to facilitate operational decisions for our clients.
- Present your work both to internal decision makers, and at conferences, meetups and leading workshops around spatial data science.
- Keep up to date on new developments from industry and academia and presenting and educating the wider company at CARTO.
- Ability to work with clients and other stakeholders to translate business problems into Data Science workflows.
- Education in relevant fields and +5 years of experience working in Data Science.
- Strong statistical background and experience applying data science techniques in production.
- Strong foundation in coding skills relevant to Data Science; e.g., Python, R, SQL, etc.
- Experience working with Google Cloud, AWS and/or Azure ecosystems (BigQuery, BigTable, S3, Apache Beam, Hadoop, Spark etc.)
- Experience developing production-quality data products using the results of quantitative research.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with (non-technical) senior executives internally and externally. Presentation skills are essential.
- Familiarity with modern data pipelines and ETL practices (e.g. Airflow).
- Fluency in English.
*Bonus Points For*
- Experience with working with GIS software: CARTO, QGIS, ArcGIS, etc.
- Experience working with clients in a professional services capacity.
- Fluency or conversational Spanish.
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment at the center of Madrid
- A bright, comfortable office, stocked with snacks, good coffee, and even a ping-pong table and cinema :)
- Possibility to work remotely
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).