We are a high-growth FinTech startup using data and machine learning to revolutionise the insurance industry. To achieve this we are growing our Data Science team, which is where you come in! You will be joining an established team, working with other Data Scientists to build machine learning products that are fundamentally changing the way insurers see the world, enabling them to move from an assumption based understanding of risk, to an empirical, data-driven view.
What you will be working on:
At Cytora we are developing data and machine learning driven products which means that as a Data Scientist you will be working on some of the company’s most important and toughest challenges.
More specifically, your role will include:
- You will build and improve predictive models by using machine learning algorithms and techniques, such as GLMs and GBMs, and engineering predictive features from existing datasets
- As we continuously acquire new datasets to enrich our models, you will use innovative Data Science, NLP, and Computer Vision techniques to take advantage of their predictive power
- You will work with Engineering to deploy your models into a live production environment, powering multinational insurers
- You will apply cutting-edge Data Science and Machine Learning techniques to our domain in innovative and creative ways
- You will use your knowledge and experience to influence the development of our products and to mentor other members of the data science team.
What working as a Data Scientist at Cytora looks like:
At Cytora, you will be working in an interdisciplinary team with data scientists, data analysts, actuaries, and software engineers. The team is product-centric, led by a product manager and a tech lead and working towards a product roadmap. Your working days begin with a stand up around a Kanban board to synchronise efforts across the team. We take pride in peer reviewing colleagues’ work to ensure what we create is of high quality, reliable and well documented.
One of our core values at Cytora is to learn continuously. In pursuit of this, we share and discuss what we are working on in weekly data science seminars. You will contribute by researching new techniques and approaches and keep up to date with the scientific literature in paper reading lunches. The monthly AI reading group is a great opportunity to expand your data science and machine learning horizons beyond immediate applications to everyday work. As part of the data science team you will benefit from the advice and guidance of our scientific advisors, including two professors of Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing from University of Cambridge.
What we are looking for in candidates:
- You will have 5+ years proven experience as a Data Scientist
- You will have led teams
- You will have deep knowledge and experience in specific Data Science and Machine Learning techniques and best practices, that is clearly evident in the projects you’ve worked on previously
- You will be passionate about Data Science and Machine Learning, keeping up with current research
- You will have a strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, and computer science essentials
- You will have technical experience with some of the core Python data science libraries (scikit-learn, Numpy/Scipy, pandas, matplotlib, Jupyter notebooks) and have solid data manipulation and data visualisation skills
- You are able to build stand-alone projects in Python and have a good understanding of how to work with Engineers
We would be particularly impressed if:
- You have had exposure to production level engineering (including concepts like test-driven development and continuous integration)
- You have experience of deploying machine learning models into a live production environment
- You have experience working in the insurance industry
- Private Health Insurance
- Pension Plan
- Training & Development
- Stock Options
Cytora transforms underwriting for business insurance. The Cytora Risk Engine uses artificial intelligence to learn the patterns of risks over time, enabling insurers to improve profitability and deliver fairer prices to their customers.
At Cytora, you’ll have access to a network of world-class business minds and academics from leading global institutions. We celebrate originality and independent thinking, and work in decentralised teams, giving people the authority to own and solve problems creatively. You’ll be offered a competitive salary and share options, augmented by our private health insurance. To learn more about our culture and benefits visit our careers page:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Application End Date: 5th December 2018
Salary Range: £40,000 - £100,000