Your role within our Kingdom
If you want to improve the experience of King’s 300 million+ players across our network of games, then this may be the right opportunity for you. You’ll help us to further understand, model, predict, segment and retain our players. You will be part of a community of 80+ business intelligence & analytics experts, while working on a daily basis in smaller teams of 4-8 people. As a data scientist at King, your role will be focused on particular games, our network or specific business areas.
- Identify potential business opportunities within your area and scope/design approaches to capture those opportunities
- Translate business needs to technical requirements and AB-tests, and work with development teams to ensure correct implementation, specifically including correctly tracking the right information to allow easy, precise analysis of the impact
- Develop an analysis strategy and perform analysis of complex scenarios and AB-tests, both systematically and on a one-off basis.
- Carefully check, debug, and problem solve issues to ensure you deliver accurate and clear analysis and reports, quickly, even when confronted by subtle data complications
- Provide an analytics perspective to discussions and prioritisation within your team, so that the overall team selects the right ideas to work on
- Be the pro-active owner of the entire data chain for your game(s)
Skills to create thrills
You have a passion for quantitative analysis and the ability to draw business insights that will add real value to King. You will need to demonstrate the ability to learn quickly and work in a fast paced and collaborative environment whilst communicating effectively with teams and individuals across King - such as Game Developers, Business Performance Managers and Marketeers.
While we certainly don’t expect you to have all of these skills from day one, we do expect you to learn and develop in each of the following five areas:
- Business Insight: The ability to deeply understand the problems and issues our games and business wants to solve and therefore define for yourself the right data or analysis or interpretation to lead to the right recommendations and decisions
- SQL: The ability to write complex SQL queries to analyse our databases with 300+ million players, and work effectively with both Hive and relational database systems.
- Analytical coding: Using tools such as R, Python (and also Excel) for analytical purposes
- Stats: Understanding the appropriate statistical or machine learning techniques to use in different circumstances.
- Communication: Designing good ways of communicating, visualising or reporting your results/analysis so they are clear and unambiguous
There is plenty of scope at King for you to learn from your colleagues in those areas where you have less experience, and to share your own skills where you are stronger.
Specific experience that might be helpful, but is not required, include: experience in the games industry or similarly sophisticated customer-facing digital businesses; experience in "big data" systems such as Hadoop, Hive; experience in behavioural psychology/economics; robust understanding of more advanced statistical techniques suitable for analysis of highly skewed populations; experience in predictive analytics, segmentation, and related areas; experience in experimental design; software engineering skills in Java and other languages (beyond R, Python which we use most frequently); skills with standard reporting tools such as QlikView/Tableau/etc.
- Smart - intellectual dexterity
- High integrity
- Low ego
- Pragmatic problem-solver - someone who looks for solutions rather than worrying about problems
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people that share the same idea of what makes a good workplace great. No matter where you’re from, it’s all about what we can achieve together when creating truly magical moments for all our players. That’s why we hire all sorts of talent - because a great saga needs all sorts of heroes.
Want to join our Kingdom?
Application needs to be in English.
London, United Kingdom
We have developed more than 200 fun titles, and offer games in over 200 countries and regions. Our franchises include Candy Crush, Farm Heroes, Pet Rescue and Bubble Witch. We have 340 million average monthly unique users, as of second quarter 2015, across web, social and mobile platforms.
At King, we design games with a broad appeal, which allow people to play for a moment, then move on with their day and pick up their game later. Our games are also synchronized across platforms, allowing players to switch seamlessly between devices and platforms and continue their game wherever they left off, so they can play anywhere, any time and on any device. For us, this is encapsulated in the idea of bitesized entertainment.
King has game studios in Stockholm, Bucharest, Malmö, London, Barcelona, Berlin, Singapore, and Seattle, along with offices in San Francisco, Malta, Seoul, Tokyo and Shanghai.