We aim to deliver our clients with unprecedented, extensive, and up-to-date data around valuable tech-companies. As part of the Data Team, the Data Science Intern’s main objective is to contribute to executing upon this data-strategy. At Dealroom.co we value intelligent, articulate and motivated individuals who want to learn a great team and rapidly growing business, but who also thrive working independently with clearly defined responsibilities.
On a daily basis you’ll act to maintain our current data and sources on par our quality standards, and monitor this through utilizing our data-warehouse and business-intelligence tooling (Tableau). You’ll actively search for new data sources, operate our scraping & crawling processes, and seek to improve these; including updating and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures. Along the daily tasks you'll be motivated to seek automation improvements and ways to make our processes more sustainable. Excel and data programming/querying languages are required for this. This is achieved by actively working together with the Research and Product/Development teams.You have a passion for anything related to tech startups, big-data and numbers. This not only includes knowing the Dealroom database inside-out, but also staying up-to-date on industry news to truly understand how we can best uses internal and external data-sources. If you are a hungry, curious and a courageous individual, with exceptional data-skills, a good understanding of technology and a proactive mindset, please read further!
Dealroom is Europe’s leading provider of startup data & insights. The Dealroom software, database and research enables Venture Capital Firms, Corperates, Advisory firms and Governments to stay at the forefront of innovation, discover promising companies and identify strategic opportunities.
Our core products are:
1/ The Dealroom SaaS platform that offers an intuitive interface to identify and track promising startups and analyse broader industry/business model trends.
2/ The Dealroom API, enabling our clients to integrate Dealroom data straight into their own applications and processes.
3/ Custom research projects in which we combine Dealroom data with expert insights. The scope of these projects range from market scans and industry deep-dives to high-level analyses of trends on startups, employment and venture capital.
4/ Dealroom Ecosystem Solutions, that provide an open (and
crowdsourced) platform to support local governments, founders and
investors to keep track of activity in their local tech ecosystem,
showcase it to the world and foster networking. For example in Berlin, The Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Among our clients are world-leading firms including Mckinsey, BCG, Deloitte, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Sony, Insight VP, Balderton Capital, EQT and many others that rely on Dealroom Data as part of their strategic decision-making.
We operate from the heart of Amsterdam. We’re passionate about everything that is happening around technology, start-ups and scale-ups, and aim to capture this in actionable data points for our users. Our company culture is ambitious, diligent and proactive, but also fun and playful including weekly team drinks.
The Data Science Intern will:
- Monitor, detect and report upon data quality improvement areas, and execute improvement efforts.
- Define and execute upon a plan for recurrent and statistically relevant sample checks, to validate our data quality.
- Identify, validate and harvest new data sources and data-points from existing sources.
- Respond to and handle ad-hoc data quality complaints or improvements. Provide appropriate solutions and alternatives within the time limits and follow up to ensure resolution.
- Operate the continuous scraping and crawling process, and seek ways to optimize these utilizing Natural Language Processes (NLP) and AI (Artificial Intelligence) principles.
- Utilize customer feedback and usage analytics to improve our data quality maintenance processes.
- Develop, author, and maintain product and product education material, in our company wiki.
- Work closely with our product and development teams to keep your knowledge up to date, becoming a product expert.
Who you are / Background
- Currently enrolled in the last year of an undergraduate or graduate level studies with a declared major in Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Econometrics, Business, Economics, or similar field of study.
- You’re proficient in Excel
- You are meticulous and creative
- Good analytical skills, good with numbers
- Coding skills (python, SQL, php, etc) are a bonus
- You enjoy solving problems
- NLP knowledge (bonus)
- You have a structured way of working and don’t lose sight of the important details.
- You’re always looking for ways to optimise and automate repetitive support processes to free up more time to spend on quality interactions with clients.
- You have a passion for technology, startups and venture capital markets.
- Comfortable with working in a multicultural and fast-growing start-up work environment
- Self-motivated, detailed, ability to prioritize, proactive and ambitious
- EU citizenship or already in the possession of a Dutch working permit
- Fluent in English. Any additional European language is a big advantage
What we can offer you
- An internship compensation fee.
- Freedom and responsibility to execute on your own ideas
- Positive, empathic and outward-focussed colleagues and customers that are the forefront of innovation and technology.
- A great office, in the heart of a vibrant neighbourhood.
- Training on the job to improve your SaaS knowledge plus an extensive training budget
- A daily office lunch and many more perks upcoming
- Travel reimbursement
- The minimum length for the internship is 4 months and a maximum length of 6 months