8fit understands the obstacles people face on their fitness journey. It often isn’t easy, and there’s no one-size-fits-all way to find lifelong health. That’s why we’ve set out build the best way for people to achieve their personal fitness goals. 8fit makes healthy living fun and simple by providing tailored workouts, meal plans and guidance in one easy-to-use app.
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer to join our team of data enthusiasts to collaborate on building scalable data infrastructure. You'll mostly work on data pipelines, data warehousing, analytics tools and data storage.
Data Engineering at 8fit
The Data Engineering Team serves as a functional unit at the center of 8fit, enabling the company to be data informed. We aim for stable and efficient access to data for as many co-workers as possible. This way they can move fast, make great decisions and help our customers. We are involved in various challenges including user acquisition, A/B testing, customer support, finance and content. The technology and tools we use vary, though we have developed and set up a set of tools that can be combined to not reinvent the wheel. We aim for knowledge sharing and steady learning.
What you'll be working on
- Data modeling: The star schema is nothing new for you. A DWH is driven by business processes that you're willing to understand. You love to listen and talk to other teams in the organization to deliver the best analysis. You interact with analysts to speed up their query, with product managers and data scientists to make sure they can confidently conclude an A/B test at the right point in time with the right data at hand.
- ETL pipelines: You will ingest and transform various external APIs and tap into sweet S3 honey pots of logs and events generated by the services we use and our application. You make sure the data is delivered on time in a fast and reliable way.
- Data infrastructure: Build, maintain and scale our data infrastructure. From DWH to ETL pipelines. This also includes working together with our product teams to find the best way to combine and use the various external tools.
- Data quality: Like every member of the data team, you're in charge of improving the quality of the data we aggregate. Debugging data issues, sanitizing data sets and educating other colleagues is a key part of the role.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in a similar role, including advanced knowledge of DWH and BI tools (Looker, Tableau, Periscope, Mode)
- Expert knowledge and expertise in SQL
- Strong skills in the command line (sed/awk and friends, git)
- Mid+ level experience in Python (3.6) and relevant data manipulation tools
- A solid overview and understanding of amazon web services like S3, Lambda, Cloudformation, Redshift
- Hands-on experience in workflow scheduling (e.g. Airflow, Matillion)
- Knowledge and experience in web scraping
- Previous experience in a startup environment
- Experience in building A/B testing infrastructure
- Hands-on experience using snowplow
What it’s like to work at 8fit
We endorse healthy life choices to millions of people and we stick to them ourselves, so “work/life balance” is core to how we do things. But don’t just take our word for it – you’re welcome to drop by and meet the team! We’ve got a lovely office in Friedrichshain, right on the river Spree. It’s quiet, bright, well-stocked with healthy snacks, and every Friday, we get together for a healthy lunch.
Other perks of being an 8fitter:
- Flexible office hours, to ensure you have plenty of time to enjoy life (and fit in a workout)
- Stock options, so you can share in 8fit’s success
- A health & wellness benefit, naturally
- Yearly company offsite to escape harsh Berlin winters
- Remote work policy that allows for extra flexibility, year-round
- Professional development grants to help you learn and grow
- Relocation benefits and visa assistance for non-EU citizens
Read more here: http://8fit.com/about/
Include in your application
What have you done before? What are you interested in? What motivates you? Please don’t send a generic cover letter. We’d rather hear your short intro in the summary section.
If you do have online profiles, are willing to share and think they are relevant to your application, please provide some (e.g. github, twitter).
How does the interview process look like?
The process can take up to 5 rounds (30min - 1h) and includes a take home test. You will get to know your future team members as well as some of the founders.
Willing to relocate? We also have a program set up to make your experience as smooth as possible.
Health & Fitness