Preply is a global language learning marketplace, connecting 15,000+ tutors with millions of learners from all over the world. Since the company launched in 2012, students have signed up to more than five million lessons.
Backed by some of the world’s leading investors, Preply is on a mission to shape the future of effective learning. Fueled by a belief that live engagement with a teacher is still the most effective way to learn a new skill, Preply is building a personalized learning space that will enable individual learners to reach their goals in the fastest way possible.
Powered by a tenfold increase in revenues over the last three years, Preply now has 200+ employees of over 25 nationalities based between Barcelona and Kyiv. Preply is driven by a culture of experimentation and data-driven learnings, focused on building best-in-class consumer and enterprise solutions.
As the company looks to increase momentum and scale geographically, this is a unique opportunity to join one of the most vibrant and attractive start-up communities in the world.
At Preply, we have a strong culture of experimentation which translates to hundreds of AB Tests, each with specific tracking and analytic requirements. This, along with the wide scope of our product and the sophistication of the tutor/learner interactions, makes for some rewarding challenges.
As part of this role, you’ll participate in critical architectural decisions, evaluating multiple approaches to empower our people to inform their decisions with quality data. You’ll heavily contribute to select the appropriate tech stack and define standards to ensure scalability and reliability.
As a Data Engineer, you will:
- Scale and evolve our data infrastructure, optimizing for cost, performance, scalability and reliability
- Design and implement diverse strategies to meet existing requirements while anticipating the future needs of our internal clients
- Work closely with our Data Strategy team to ensure a smooth and organic growth of our data models
- Build and optimize ETL processes for the core data model, integrating additional data sources as needed
- Optimize data ingestion in our multi-terabyte data lake, data warehouse and experimentation platform
- Act as a referent for our Data Scientist, providing guidance and expertise as they build and productionize their data pipelines, minimizing redundancies, inefficiencies and technical debt.
- Select and instrument data quality tools and processes
What we're after:
- Ideally 3-4 years experience as a Data Engineer or a similar role
- Strong coding skills in one or more languages (SQL, Python, etc.)
- Strong curiosity, problem solving and problem finding skills
- Creative mindset and proactive attitude towards the creation and evaluation of new solutions
- Experience with high-volume tracking events ingestion and processing
- Good written and verbal communication skills. Fluent English is a must.
Nice to have:
- Previous experience scaling start-ups infrastructures
- Knowledge of coordination tools (Airflow, Luigi, Jenkins, etc.)
- Experience in distributed processing frameworks (Spark, etc.)
- Experience with Streaming technologies (Kafka, Kinesis, etc.)
- Experience with the AWS stack
What we offer:
- An opportunity for personal and professional growth, supported by high functioning teams, stellar investors and the exciting challenges that come with joining a company at the start of its growth trajectory;
- An environment free of bureaucracy and corporate constraints; a culture where your opinion is highly valued and appreciated;
- An open, collaborative, dynamic and international culture;
- A monthly allowance for self-development on Preply.com;
- A competitive financial package, with generous leave allowance and health insurance
- Human: We speak honestly and directly with compassion and radical candor. We believe every interaction should be friendly, personalized, diverse and inclusive. Above all, we believe fun should be apart of everything we do
- Customer Obsession: We put our customers first by asking for feedback and analyzing the data to build products they love.
- Hungry: Our will to win is unmatched. We make bold, data-informed decisions, to quickly deliver value to our customers. We dare to dream big, think like co-owners, and go the extra mile to hire others who share our champion spirit.
- Humble: We keep our egos low, constantly learn, and trust in data to make smart decisions. We know that our knowledge is imperfect and incomplete, but not stagnant. There's always more to learn from each other, our customers, and the world around us.
- Curious: We are lifelong learners. Our curiosity helps us to view tough situations more creatively. We kill the noise and go deep on insights. We face challenges head on, and consistently seek opportunities to learn more.
- Hackers: We’re obsessed with our customer’s problems. We focus on what matters, design with pragmatism, and move with incredible speed to create simple, creative, and scalable solutions.
Diversity is important for us
Preply is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.