Role: Clojure Developer
Location: London, UK
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer
Wefarm, the world’s largest farmer-to-farmer digital network, enables farmers to connect with one another to solve problems, share ideas and spread innovation. Utilising the latest machine learning technology, Wefarm’s service works both online and over SMS. Knowledge shared on Wefarm can help farmers to produce higher quality product, increase yields, gain insight into market pricing, tackle the effects of climate change, diversify agricultural interests, and much more.
Since its founding in 2015, Wefarm has been named one of Africa’s Most Innovative Companies by FastCompany and has won Google’s Impact Challenge Award, TechCrunch’s Europas-Tech for Good Award, and the European Union Commission’s Ideas from Europe prize, among others. We’ve been covered on CNN, the BBC, Wired, TechCrunch, Forbes, the FT and more. The company is headquartered in London with offices in Nairobi and Kampala.
Overview of Role
Working as part of the core tech team, you will be responsible in continuing development of the main knowledge sharing platform as well as applying your skills developing new features and services.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
This is a fantastic opportunity to use Clojure to make the world a better place and get paid for it! Be a part of the team helping half a billion farmers access vital information in some of the most remote areas of the world. You will apply your multitude of talents and skills to build, shape and maintain Wefarm’s primary services.
You will ideally have strong prior experience working on large scale Clojure projects and understand the value of the data and service delivery. You have a experience or a desire to learn AI fundamentals and apply machine learning algorithms on a very unique source of data.
You will work closely with our Data Scientists to make sure the value and insight we extract from our traffic is passed on to our users. You know a Y-combinator isn’t just a SV incubator and there’s more to currying than spices.
- Design and Develop stable functional services
- Produce clean well documented idiomatic code
- Shares responsibility for service availability
- Understanding of Git Flow methodology
- Integrate with a number of third party APIs
- Computer science fundamentals, Bash, Regex, Git etc
- Functional language e.g. Clojure, ClojureScript
- Databases SQL & NoSQL
- An opinion on TDD, BDD, ReplDD & Hammock time
- Know your way around the multifarious AWS services
Some of the technologies we are using include Kubernetes, Ubuntu, Docker, Travis-CI and a variety of machine learning tools. Bonus points for Java interop, graph databases such as Neo4J, frontend technologies such as React and React Native and a grasp of OWASP.
Domain Knowledge & Soft Skills
- Passionate about the business
- Quick learner
- Influence without authority
- Hacker mindset with a crafts persons pride
- Pragmatic problem solver
- Strategic, proactive, creative, innovative and collaborative
- Data Scientist: Data is key to our success in delivering a great service. You will work with the DS to make sure that the algorithms and processes are optimal.
- Head of Product: to ensure users needs are respected and their experience of our service is an enjoyable positive one.
To apply please send your CV and a (short) cover letter that answers the following question:
Please tell us about a technology development from 2017 that really excites you and the impact you foresee it having.
Please send your application to jobTech1@wefarm.orgWe will review and interview on an ongoing basis. We will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.