Did you know that Uber supports about 20 different payment methods? From credit card to PayPal, Alipay, Apple Pay and cash, our payments team's goal is to let people pay with their preferred payment method, worldwide and at Uber-scale.
Uber's payments team is based in Amsterdam, at the heart of our international engineering efforts. As a member of our team, you will dig into the complex but rewarding world of money, and work to enhance the platform with third-party payment integrations. Here are some examples of technical challenges you may be solving:
- Full-stack approach. Each integration is unique and often requires a back-end, mobile and web component. You will be part of a cross-functional team which is building the overall experience and architecture.
- Global scale. Despite being based in Amsterdam, we work on integration for the overall Uber platform. Those integrations include Alipay (300M users in China) and Paypal (173M users). Our systems power the entirety of Uber’s rider payments platform worldwide.
- Scale & reliability. Our solutions power Uber's always-on marketplace. Maintaining this platform at scale requires constant investment in security, reliability and monitoring tooling.
- Innovation. We create platforms: payments is a central initiative for Uber, and we are constantly innovating in this field.
What you’ll need
Here are the skills we’re looking for:
- Strong coding abilities. You have advanced knowledge of at least one programming language, and of OOP patterns. You’ve used programming tools (e.g. version control) and already have a couple of full stack projects under your belt. You have an intimate knowledge of the command line.
- Fast learner. We’re looking for software engineers who perk up learning new technologies or a new partner API. You keep yourself up-to-date with the latest technological trends. You’re constantly on the lookout for opportunities to try out new things.
- Speed and quality. You strive on proving that these are not mutually exclusive — that you can achieve both at the same time. You obsess about delivering business results as fast as possible.
- Ownership. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you’d never call code “released” until you’re confident it’s correct, fast and elegant. You pride yourself on thorough monitoring, concise up-to-date documentation, and adequate test coverage. You thrive in a startup culture where all hands are on deck, and consider no challenge too big or too small.
- A standout colleague. You believe that you can achieve more when you work in a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others’ candid feedback for continuous improvement. You want to work with different finance, mobile, product, design and fraud teams to build the best solution for Uber.
- Design and business insight. You understand requirements beyond the written word. Whether you’re working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole web stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together (front-end, database, network protocols, cache, Linux system administration, etc.) and how they impact the performance and reliability of your application.
- Experience with our technologies (Python, Go, Node, Kafka, Redis, etc.) is a plus, but not required.
- Experience working in systems handling high volume financial transactions is a plus.
- An open source profile (such as Github) with some cool projects is highly desirable.
- Breakfast and lunch onsite.
- Work in the very centre of Amsterdam!
Do you want to know what it is like to work at Uber?
- Visit our Engineering website here
- View this video to hear from our engineers what it’s like to work at Uber