What we do
Merantix transforms how businesses, healthcare organizations, and governments operate by building products that apply machine intelligence to their enterprise datasets. We acquire datasets that enable promising products, incubate those products, and spin off ventures to support their growth. We take advantage of three core competencies: Our experience applying machine learning, our expertise fostering enterprise partnerships to assemble vast datasets, and our culture of rapidly iterating to build scalable products.
Our projects are meaningful and diverse. Currently we work on:
- Automated medical image diagnosis
- Financial models for automated trading on new markets
- Deep neural networks used for autonomous driving
As our current ventures progressively grow mature and become more independent, we will look into new industries such as satellite imagery, pharmaceutical drugs, industrial IoT and automated manufacturing.
Our team is made up of entrepreneurs, scientists, and engineers from premier universities around the world. Many of us have PhDs and work experience at top tech companies. We’re based in Europe’s startup capital, Berlin, and are growing quickly!
Merantix is looking for our first Backend Software Engineer to help us make healthcare more efficient through deep learning. You will be working on our core team, building a portal to securely view and annotate X-Rays, MRIs, and CT-scans.
Furthermore, you’ll deploy your expertise across our codebase and infrastructure, including:
- Building data processing pipelines
- Deploying deep learning models at scale
- One-off proof-of-concepts and customer demos
We define ourselves by a culture of friendship and ownership. We’re looking for capable, driven, and thoughtful people who think outside the box and add to our vision.
- Understanding of basic data structures and algorithms
- Solid understanding of the Web’s infrastructure
- Experience building websites and web apps, especially knowledge of a web backend framework
- You write well-tested, clean, maintainable code
- Good communication skills to work together with our Frontend team
- Entrepreneurial mindset: creative, focused, and not easily discouraged
- Advanced knowledge of backend development across several different platforms and programming languages (Python/Django, Ruby/Rails, Elixir/Phoenix, JVM-based languages or others)
- Experience with building secure authentication and authorization
- Exposure to architectural patterns of large, high-scale web applications
- You know and care about sound engineering practices like code review, testing, continuous delivery and automation
- Experience with database management
- Deployment experience, especially with Docker
- Industry experience working with sensitive data on cloud infrastructure
- Experience with distributed data processing frameworks (Beam, Spark, Flink, others) and distributed task queues (Kafka, Redis, RabbitMQ, others)
- Familiarity with (deep) machine learning frameworks such as Tensorflow or Keras
- Familiarity with medicine or another complementary field
- Open source contributions
- Experience with ClojureScript, re-frame and Reagent
The preferred qualifications are just that: preferred. If a few of these points apply to you, we definitely want to talk!
Working at Merantix
Our hierarchy is flat and communication direct, which means that we operate and learn fast, as a team. You are a great fit for our team if this describes you:
- Entrepreneurial mindset: Creative, focused, and not easily discouraged
- An ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is occurring and ambiguity is the norm.
- Excellent technical and analytical problem-solving skills
- Structured work style to develop effective solutions with minimal oversight
- Analyze and solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills with ability to balance competing priorities
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills and an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams.
- Love what you do (and own it)
In addition to a competitive salary and equity package, you can expect the following:
Some of us come in during regular business hours, and some of us prefer to start later or earlier. Occasionally, we work from home in the mornings or evenings rather than in the office. We don’t track vacation time, and expect you to take time off as you need it. And while the infrequent unavoidable deadline may demand extraordinary effort, we value our evenings and weekends and overtime is the exception, not the rule. Just ask one of our founders, a father of two.
We want each employee to attend at least one professional conference each year. Last year our entire machine learning engineering team attended NIPS and ICCV. We make major contributions to the open source community. We have a weekly paper reading group to stay up on current research.
We have regular outings and team dinners. If you want to participate, that’s great! And if you don’t, that’s fine too.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity. We consider all applications equally regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity. We strongly encourage individuals from groups traditionally underrepresented in tech to apply, and we can help with immigration.