Prolific (www.prolific.ac) brings people together to power the world’s research. It is the first scientific, highly scalable, ethical participant recruitment platform for researchers around the world. Quantitative and qualitative researchers, data scientists, and entrepreneurs all need valid and reliable data sources to make predictions about human behaviour, social change, and global developments. Thanks to our online platform, researchers collect responses fast and participants earn cash rewards for themselves or for charity. It takes 5 minutes to start data collection, there's no middleman, and the product easily integrates with any survey software. In a world of unreliable results, Prolific makes data trustworthy and connects the public with science.
At the core of Prolific is our fast growing platform, which connects thousands of researchers with tens of thousands of participants. This allows researchers to screen for samples of verified participants, manage the process of running studies with them online, and paying them.
You’ll play a key role in helping us develop the Django REST backend and supporting technologies, take ownership of the development of new features, solve difficult technical challenges, be part of architectural decisions and the planning around scaling our throughput by 10-100X, investigate the suitability of new technologies and approaches, and be grow with our fast growing team and company.
The ideal candidate will have worked in a developer/software-engineering role for at least 3+ years, including preferably at other high growth startups. We value a broad range of experience and skills, the salary is negotiable based on experience and very senior candidates are also encouraged to apply.
This is your chance to get involved in a fast-moving startup where you’ll have huge influence over the trajectory of the product. Since it’s a startup, you’ll have the opportunity to suggest how you can best add value, and make any recommendations about improving the processes and product. We're a fast-growing company and we want to help you grow with us.
- Planning and implementing complex features, that is, working on new and improving existing functionality, with our users in mind
- Reviewing work of other team members
- Discussing features and business decisions
- Fixing bugs/Writing tests
- Help provide technical support to customer facing staff investigating issues
These are some of the tools and frameworks we are use, however we aren’t wedded to any particular technology. Experience with these tools is valuable, but we are also interested in what you like to use and why.
Experience working with Python in web development (ideally Django/Flask).
Experience in creating secure, high-performance web applications.
Experience several of the following, or similar technologies:
- NoSQL databases (ideally mongoDB)
- Relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL)
- RESTful services using JSON
- Cloud services (Azure/AWS/GCP)
- Knowledge of best practices such as automated testing and continuous integration
- Strong communication skills: the ability to clearly articulate your choices and the reasons behind them
- If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch. Driven, self-motivated candidates are encouraged to apply
- Experience from a startup or a fast-growing company
- Experience of automated testing and continuous integration
- Knowledge of Django REST framework
- Kubernetes or other DevOps frameworks
- Experience of working in Agile teams
- Team Leading/Mentoring experience
- Interest in or knowledge of the academic research sector
- You can get excited about the prospect of growing into a leadership role
- Enjoy being a generalist, self-driven and autonomous.
- Salary: £40,000-50,000+ (p.a.), negotiable based on experience, qualifications, and location
- Pension (employer contribution 3%)
- Flexible working: Work equipment of your choice, you can work flexibly from home or from our coworking space, flexible hours
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays
- Flexible budget for any books and/or educational material
- Personal growth opportunities (e.g., learn about the startup ecosystem, mentoring from executive team, learn about psychological science and research methods)
- Open, transparent, and inclusive culture
- Self-made cider and home-baked cookies
How we interview & hire
Our hiring process usually begins with an introductory online interview to help you get to know us better, and vice versa. At this stage, we would like to better understand your motivation for the role, get to know about your interests and personality, and learn about any relevant past experience or skills you might have. If this initial interview is successful, we'd then invite you to complete an assignment (<2 hours, you'll be compensated for the time spent), which will be reviewed by one of our engineers. This will be followed by an in-depth, face-to-face interview in Oxford, UK, with the key people in our startup (CEO Katia, CTO Phelim, and COO Jim), which will provide an opportunity to discuss the assignment, explore value fit, which incentives you care about, and learn how you would work with the team on a daily basis.
What’s it like to work at Prolific?
Our core values:
Curiosity and openness: We like to think big, ask creative questions, and tackle difficult challenges
Transparency and honesty: We care about constructive debate and having transparent, democratic processes
Striving for excellence: We continuously seek to improve in all areas, but make sure we stay lean
Doing good: We care about research and want to empower scientists and companies to be more data-drivenYou’ll be joining an enthusiastic team of eight based in Oxford, UK (although two of us work remotely, in Glasgow and Newcastle).