Are you interested in languages, education and technology and want to work in one of the world's best EdTech startups? Then join us and be part of an ambitious and talented team that revolutionises how we learn languages.
Busuu is the app that makes learning a language easier for everyone and proves that learning a language must not be done in a classroom.
We are the world's largest language learning community with over 100 million users from 190 countries, growing at up to 50,000 new users per day. We make learning a language easy by combining AI-powered courses with instant feedback from our global community of native speakers and live tutoring from qualified teachers across the world.
If you are passionate about languages, want to work with smart, creative, energetic people and possess the initiative, confidence and good judgement to make independent decisions every day - then you are probably the perfect addition for our growing team.
What does a Backend Engineer do at Busuu?
You’ll have the opportunity to be at the centre of our biggest and most exciting phase yet, making big decisions that will help you grow and define your career as a Software Engineer. You’ll design and implement software solutions with reusable and testable that will have direct impact in the core of our business.
You’ll be learning fast through different initiatives (guilds, reading clubs, learning together meetings, personal learning budget…), and keeping up with the latest industry standards.
Our tech stack
- Our projects are built on a distributed platform composed of different API services.
- Some backend services are built with PHP 7 and Symfony, while others are built with NodeJS with TS.
- Services are built following best coding standards and design patterns such as hexagonal architecture, CQRS and Domain Driven Design (with an event-driven architecture).
What we’re looking for in a Backend Engineer
- Good knowledge and experience in object-oriented programming (PHP, JS or similar languages).
- Good experience of data modelling and performance optimisation using relational databases.
- Good understanding of API design, RESTFul or gRPC, SOLID principles.
- Experience with testing methodologies.
- Desire to learn.
- Experience in defining the whole process of development, from initial design to deployment and support.
What can you expect working at Busuu?
You will be based in our new Madrid office and have the opportunity to travel to our London HQ for short-term visits when travel is safe.
At Busuu we know that when we work hard we should find time to relax and have fun, this is why we encourage our members to join our quarterly team events, to build personal relationships with your colleagues.
We offer several special perks to our employees, which are:
- Competitive salary
- International environment - we have over 26 different nationalities at Busuu
- Free breakfast & snacks
- Free dinner if you decide to work late
- Access to Busuu Premium
- Access to online workout and wellness platforms
- Referral bonus
- Training budget
- Private healthcare
- Team outings
- Annual Busuu trip
What happens next
We aim to have a simple and speedy hiring process and we want to make sure that we are right for you as much as the other way around. The hiring process for a Backend Engineer has the following steps:
- CV application review - We will review it as quickly as possible
- Let’s chat - Quick chat with our recruiter about your experience and the role
- A video call - Technical call with the hiring managers
- Technical test - We will send you a technical test to complete in your time
- Interview - 1.5 hour technical interview and task review with the Backend team
- Culture fit interview - 1h hour call with the Engineering Manager
Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. We pride ourselves on embracing our differences, whether they're cultural, racial, religious or otherwise. This means each one of us comes to work knowing that we have a voice – and a safe, judgement-free zone to speak freely.
If you like the sound of that, join us. We'd love to hear what you have to say.