Lingokids is looking for a Backend Engineer to join our backend chapter and help our Parents squad build and deliver amazing educational experiences to the children of the millions of families that use our mobile application.
At Lingokids we encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We actively seek to hire individuals with different perspectives and we are eager to continue diversifying our company's culture. We strive to be an inclusive, supportive place where you can do the best work of your career.
Our offices are in Madrid, Spain but the position is open to anyone with experience working remotely. Some overlap with Central European Time is expected though, for those times when a video call is the most efficient way to communicate.
About the job
As a Backend Engineer, you will help build upon and improve the API services that deliver a personalized learning experience to millions of families worldwide. You will also get a chance to work on internal tools that help us better understand our users and offer them exactly what they need.
More specifically, you will:
- Bring your analytical skills to early product definition sessions and help shape product ideas into technically feasible features.
- Document product, technical, and architectural decisions for the benefit of both engineering and product audiences.
- Integrate with different stores and payment processors
- Improve our experimentation platform to help in scaling up the number of experiments
- Work on a majestic modular monolith built with Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Redis, and Sidekiq.
- Own your work from development to production and ensure its quality, maintainability and supportability.
The ideal teammate for us would be someone who believes that communication, empathy, inquisitiveness, and open mindedness are fundamental to being successful in any endeavour.
- Have considerable experience designing and developing APIs with Ruby on Rails that scale to thousands of requests per minute.
- A solid understanding of the backend stack: HTTP, Relational Databases, Background Processing Systems, Asynchronous Messaging Systems
- Some experience in both horizontal and vertical scaling of backend systems
We also look out for:
- A DevOps mentality of owning a service all the way to production.
- An appreciation for good User Experience and have an eye for good Visual Design and attention to detail.
English is a must. We are a multicultural team and we are providing a service in English so, we don't care about certificates but we expect you to be able to communicate fluently.
You should feel equally comfortable communicating in long-form writing. Given the circumstances we have become a fully remote company and we are firm believers that being articulate in both spoken and written long-form asynchronous communication is key to working efficiently together.
Experience working closely with non-technical stakeholders to refine requirements and bring them to life is a must as we expect our Backend Engineer to be the driving force for the entire lifecycle of development.
If you think you don't tick all the boxes, we'd still love to hear from you. Nobody checks every box, and we are looking for someone excited to join the team.