At Personio we are on the amazing journey of becoming the leading HR Platform in Europe!
Join our international agile Product & Engineering team and take an active role in shaping our engineering culture and the future of thousands of HR teams and organizations across Europe. At Personio you will have a direct impact on our product, our users, our organization, and our engineering practices.
Join our team as a Back-end Engineer and take an active role in shaping our engineering culture and the future of our platform. You will work in an effective, autonomous feature-based team, where you will get to play out your dev skills in a high-impact driven environment. You will be responsible for the full cycle of feature development in your team ("You build it, you run it"), and take part in architecting the back-end of our complex, mission-critical HR Operating System.
We are building and scaling a strong engineering organisation facing challenges like moving from a monolithic to a distributed event-driven architecture, scaling the application, re-platforming and working on an automatic, scalable and country agnostic payroll solution.
Overall, we are 8 teams located in Germany and Spain. In total, the P&E department consists of 80 people, ranging from Engineers and Designers to Product and Engineering Managers.
About our Team in Madrid
Personio in Madrid is the team that’s driving our Personio Payroll Engine towards our vision of Payroll Automation. Our challenge is to build a robust system that allows us to generate a huge number of payslips and that’s able to adapt to different countries and their specific legal requirements in an agile way.
We are transforming our RoR (Ruby on Rails) application into a more decoupled architecture following the principles of Domain-Driven Design, Hexagonal Architecture and SOLID principles. Our offices are located in the heart of Madrid, close to the Bernabeu Stadium and the best access to public transportation (Metro and buses).
As a Back-end Engineer at Personio you will:
- Write efficient, performant and extensible code using the right tools and patterns to implement the functionalities that add value to our customers
- Identifying, documenting, and communicating technical improvements within your area of responsibility in the team
- Participate in cross-team engineering initiatives as an individual contributor
- Help with the coaching and onboarding of junior members of the team
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- 3-4 years of software development experience, from design to deployment and monitoring in production, using Kotlin, Go, PHP, Ruby or other programming languages
- Strong OO design skills (SOLID 100%)
- Knowledge with automated testing and of when and what to test
- Experience in CI/CD, pull/merge request and code reviews
- Knowledge of a web framework (preferred Spring Boot or similar)
- Experience with event-driven architectures, domain-driven design, resilience patterns and microservices
- Experience with containerization and container orchestration (Docker and Kubernetes preferred) in a cloud environment (AWS preferred)
- Proactive problem solver. You leave code and processes in better shape than when you first encountered them
- Teamplayer: you are passionate about working with talented teammates. Your heart beats for receiving and giving feedback, to grow both personally and as an engineer
- Interest and passion to learn and experiment with new technologies and follow the best practices in software development for agile environments
- Strong written and spoken English skills
- Market-proven, well-funded and fast-growing company ($130M funding acquired to date)
- As you are joining Personio at such an early stage, this shows us your trust and confidence in us. We would like you to profit from the success of the company, and therefore, we offer you a competitive compensation package (salary, benefits and virtual shares)
- Flexible working hours
- Relocation support to Madrid
- 26 paid vacation days plus Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
- €1.500 Euros development budget for attending conferences, courses, buying books
- Three hours of weekly English classes
- Grant for transport and food approx € 68 per month
- MacBook Pro and gadgets, including BOSE headsets with noise cancellation
- Your chance to play a decisive role in shaping a company in its rapid growth and to grow and learn from your tasks
- A creative working environment and short decision-making paths
- Full responsibility for your area
- Regular team and company events (e.g. Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany, among others)
- An office location in the heart of Madrid
By now we already have more than 2000 customers, but we aim high: Our goal is to build the leading HR platform in Europe. At Personio, we believe in hiring people like you - ambitious, forward-thinkers who want to be more than just another employee. Will you be one of them?
In 2019, tech consultancy GP Bullhound included Personio in a list of 50 European start-ups set to achieve a billion-dollar valuation over the next two years, giving them ‘unicorn’ status.