Founded in 2012 and backed by some of the world's leading investors, Preply is a global language learning marketplace that connects 15,000 tutors with tens of thousands of students from across the globe. We're continually improving our product through A/B experimentation and need your help to build a product that delivers life-changing language education to the world! Learn more in "Some more about us..." below.
Join our Experimentation Squad!
You, as a part of Experimentation Squad, will develop systems that are used by all product and platform squads in their daily work in the decision making process; tackle problems that occur in highly loaded systems, such as cross-experiment correlation, data consistency, event deduplication, etc.; design and monitor architecture in a way that will guarantee stability and reliability in the highly variative environment where 60+ developers deploy production 50+ times a day.
This position is in the intersection of Data, Development & Research. You’ll use Data skills to write ETLs, setting up alerts on data. Research skills will help to dive deeper in the data and experiments, to identify what is going wrong, how to fix it and how to prevent it from happening again in the future. Finally, you’ll use Dev skills to automate routine, iterate on our A/B system core and A/B visualization tool.
We work in small teams, thus you will be able to influence system design and contribute a lot in the company's growth, also we promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
Visit our Tech Radar to learn more about the technologies we use at Preply.
As a Back-end Engineer, you will:
- Establish credibility with the quality of the a/b testing system
- Own Data pipelines and ensure Data consistency
- Support & develop a/b testing interpretation tools
- Collaborate with product teams to help them tackle technical issues with a/b testing
- Develop new ways of a/b testing (SEO a/b testing, etc.)
What we are looking for:
- Strong knowledge of Python, at least 3+ years experience.
- SQL hands-on experience
- Understanding basics of statistical analysis: p-value, null hypothesis, confidence interval - something you should be familiar with
- A passion for analyzing data to inform decisions
- Addiction to measuring and monitoring
- High code-testing standards
- Readiness to take responsibility of systems that directly impact company decision making process
Nice to haves:
- Experience with a/b testing in production environments
- AirFlow, Redshift, Kafka, Django
What we offer:
- An opportunity for personal and professional growth, supported by high functioning teams, stellar investors and the exciting challenges that come with joining a company at the start of its growth trajectory.
- An environment free of bureaucracy and corporate constraints; a culture where your opinion is highly valued and appreciated.
- An open, collaborative, dynamic and international culture.
- A monthly allowance for self-development on Preply.com.
- A competitive financial package, with generous leave allowance and health insurance.
Some more about us...
Backed by some of the world’s leading investors, Preply is on a mission to shape the future of effective learning. Fueled by a belief that live engagement with a teacher is still the most effective way to learn a new skill, Preply is building a personalized learning space that will enable people to reach their goals in the fastest way possible.
We have diverse technical challenges (sometimes we write about them on our Engineering Blog) that will allow you to develop your skills across our stack. We also A/B test most of our changes in production, both from a product and a technical perspective before scaling it to all customers.
- Human: We speak honestly and directly with compassion and radical candor. We believe every interaction should be friendly, personalized, diverse and inclusive. Above all, we believe fun should be apart of everything we do
- Customer Obsession: We put our customers first by asking for feedback and analyzing the data to build products they love.
- Hungry: Our will to win is unmatched. We make bold, data-informed decisions, to quickly deliver value to our customers. We dare to dream big, think like co-owners, and go the extra mile to hire others who share our champion spirit.
- Humble: We keep our egos low, constantly learn, and trust in data to make smart decisions. We know that our knowledge is imperfect and incomplete, but not stagnant. There's always more to learn from each other, our customers, and the world around us.
- Curious: We are lifelong learners. Our curiosity helps us to view tough situations more creatively. We kill the noise and go deep on insights. We face challenges head on, and consistently seek opportunities to learn more.
- Hackers: We’re obsessed with our customer’s problems. We focus on what matters, design with pragmatism, and move with incredible speed to create simple, creative, and scalable solutions.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Preply.com is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people of diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe that the presence of different opinions and viewpoints is a key ingredient for our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company. That means that Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status.