We’re the Operating System for the Music Industry – a platform that pumps up the jam of every play.
We connect all players of the industry to amplify the value of music. Driven by machine learning and copyright expertise, our system pumps neutral data and authoritative knowledge to everyone along the chain. For those who make or use music, we allow them to plug in to our O.S. to ease operations, increase earnings, and get in sync with everyone else.
Who the FAQ are BMAT
BMAT started in 2005 when a group of engineers with a passion for music decided to spin-off from an audio research lab in Barcelona. We’re now over 160 people, spread across Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, London, Paris, Nairobi, Oslo, Tel-Aviv, Singapore, Tokyo, Manila, Bangkok and Lagos.
We’re a team of pretty decent people who enjoy working with each other. We’re open-minded and well-traveled, coming from all parts of the world. We’ve got rappers, producers, cello players, DJs, and songwriters. The passion for music, the excitement for innovative technology and Barcelona as a backdrop has proven to make a good combination.
Join us from wherever you are on our mission to help make music live forever.
We say there’s a BMAT touch. We believe it has to do with being passionate, obsessive, nice, generous, honest, self-motivated, entrepreneurial, intrepid, crazy, extraordinary, creative, agile, human, friendly, smart, witty, talented, naive, optimistic, surprising, sensual, and nerdy, but not very hipster (unfortunately). Our way of being is always sprinkled with transparency, perseverance, flexibility, open-mindedness and trustworthiness.
What you'll be doing
As part of the engineering team of the Digital business unit, your responsibilities will be to build, improve and scale the products that power one of the most complete music data processing systems in the world. We use agile values to improve our day to day performance. We are connected to more than 45 digital service providers such as Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music, Deezer or Amazon. They provide us with digital sales reports (DSRs), which we parse, reconcile, match and translate into royalty statements, among others, in order to provide insight to our partners, the collective management organisations and publishers of the world.
In addition, we also provide on-demand audio identification services that enable our partners to be in control of user-generated content (e.g. YouTube, Facebook, SoundCloud) and increase revenues and traceability from videos containing their music.
Our digital distribution system has already processed 162.000 DSRs with 87 billion transactions from over 250 countries, and currently ingests 650 million online music transactions per month in a horizontally scalable architecture powered by Amazon Web Services. Our main development technology is Python along with some of its frameworks, such as Django and Flask. We also use Docker to speed up our developments and deployments.
We are looking for a resourceful, action-driven and talented coder to help us with the evolution, maintenance and development that a system of this magnitude requires. As part of the engineering team, you will work side by side with the operations team in order to offer the best user experience to our clients and develop creative solutions to satisfy their business needs.
You must have
- At least 3 years of industry experience building data-intensive web applications.
- Proficiency in Python.
- Experience using Python web app frameworks
- Hands-on experience with relational DBs.
- A strong belief that you get the most out of your time when working in a team.
- The ability to work comfortably in Bash and on remote servers.
- Lots of fun explaining our back-end to your grandparents.
- Experience with Linux.
It would be great if you also have
- Basic knowledge of Docker.
- Frequently worked/developed/deployed on the cloud and in automated environments.
- Experience working with continuous integration.
- Experience with software design lifecycle and best practices (code reviews, testing).
- Experience designing and developing RESTful APIs.
- English: fully proficient or fluent
You Can Enjoy
- Flexible working hours and location
- Flat hierarchy
- You can make the role your own and run your own development
- Online language classes to improve your Spanish, Catalan or English
- Online and onsite courses and music industry workshops run by inhouse experts
- We’ll provide you with all equipment needed for you to be comfortable
- Unlimited time off because we believe that you know best when you need to rest.
- Barcelona HQ office available to you, kitted out with a rehearsal room https://www.bmat.com/bmat-house/
Diverse perspectives drive innovation, and innovation is kind of our thing. Our open-minded and flexible culture organically fosters this diversity. We've learnt that we thrive on learning from each other, so we don't just welcome but actively hire a range of open-minded people from all walks of life. Our team is made up of people with different backgrounds, perspectives, orientations, abilities, musical tastes, dress sense and time-zones - but we all have one common goal: Making the music world a better place. With equal opportunities for everyone, BMAT is a pretty nice place to work.
50 - 200
We're a team of pretty decent people who enjoy working with each other. We’re open-minded and well-travelled, coming from all parts of the world. We like coffee, tea, chai and mate all the same. We’ve got rappers, producers, cello players, DJs, and songwriters. The passion for music, the excitement for technology and Barcelona as a backdrop has proven to make a good combination.