SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER, EUTD
EUTD office in Barcelona (Spain) or EUTD office in Belfast (Northern Ireland)
Rakuten - European Technical Division (EUTD) is looking for a talented and dynamic Senior Software Engineer to join our Blockchain Lab, in Belfast or Barcelona. Here is your chance to work in a multicultural and experienced team, with high visibility and significant customer impact.
For the Barcelona position, the job will be 60% of the time remote from home and 40% in our office.
ABOUT RAKUTEN & EUTD
Rakuten, Inc.,which we are part of, is the largest eCommerce company in Japan, and third largest ecommerce marketplace company worldwide. Rakuten provides a variety of consumer and business-focused services including e-commerce, e-reading, travel, banking, securities, credit card, e-money, portal and media, online marketing and professional sports. The company is expanding globally and currently has operations throughout Asia, Western Europe, and the Americas. Founded in 1997, Rakuten is headquartered in Tokyo, with over 10,000 employees worldwide.
As a company with teams distributed globally, we believe it is important to grow regional technology-focused communities that promotes collaboration and innovation. This is why Europe Technology Division (EUTD) was created.
- EUTD is Rakuten’s regional software engineering organization.
- We have over 100 members coming from all over the world representing over 20 nationalities working at 8 offices in 5 European countries.
- We are developing and operating Rakuten’s global software platforms, which are used across Rakuten Group worldwide.
- We have expertise in a range of areas including e-commerce, big data, search, recommendations, data science, business intelligence, information security, user identity management, corporate IT, and data centers and infrastructure.
- We are supporting Rakuten’s businesses in Europe and are closely collaborating with the colleagues at Rakuten’s headquarters in Japan and in other regions.
ABOUT BLOCKCHAIN LAB ENVIRONMENT
This position is located at the Rakuten Blockchain Lab, one of the main components of EUTD.
We have grown as an engineering team of 10 during the first year of operation and have multiple active blockchain projects due for production launch in the next 3-6 months.
This is an exciting opportunity to be at the core of delivering blockchain based solutions and integration services that will enable the transformation of Rakuten businesses.
Teamwork oriented, interested in “full stack” and enthusiastic about “getting your hands dirty” in all of it, you will work in small agile teams learning and creating solutions for individual Rakuten companies as well as common platforms and services to be used across the organization.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Play a full and active role in release and sprint planning
- Define, estimate and implement backlog items
- Translation of backlog items into engineering design and logical units of work
- Problem-solving and risk assessment (risk-managed planning, feasibility, solutions)
- Define and ensure code adheres to the acceptance criteria
- Define unit and integration tests
- product development best practices sharing
- Create automated build and deployment pipeline code
- Promote learning, support and knowledge sharing through design/code reviews
- Build, release and configuration management of test and production code.
- System troubleshooting and problem solving across platform and application domains.
- Proactively recommend architecture and process improvements
- Evaluating new technology options and vendor products.
- 5+ years of solid commercial development experience, working with Java or Node.js on Linux (experience with other object orientated or functional languages such as .NET, Python or Ruby will also be considered)
- Experience of working with object-relational databases such as Postgres
- Experience with a DevOps approach to software delivery: from writing code to deploying and running the code correctly in test and production environments.
- Solid understanding of source code management, build automation and continuous integration tools such as Maven, npm, Jenkins and Git/Bitbucket is essential
- At ease working in an agile development environment
- Ability to diagnose, analyze and resolve complex software application issues
- A basic understanding of blockchain fundamentals.
- Experience of delivering REST APIs and micro-service based architectures
- Practical experience of creating deployment and release pipelines.
- Experience of application containers such as Docker and container orchestration technologies such as Docker Swarm or Google Kubernetes.
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
- Cross-European team;
- Global projects;
- Competitive wages;
- Mobility opportunities;
- Start-up spirit;
- Friendly environment;
- Innovative technology stack.
About Rakuten TV