Descripción de la oferta
Devex is the media platform for the global development community. As a social enterprise, we connect and inform development, health, humanitarian and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence and funding and career opportunities. Our goal is to do more good for more people. Devex was founded in 2000 and today we reach over 1 million aid workers and development professionals, and we can't wait to make it even more.
We live our mission and bring our world-class academic and professional experience to work every single day to change the world. Our diverse global team includes 120+ web-savvy journalists, analysts, developers, designers, and marketers. Our headquarters is in Washington, DC., we have offices in Barcelona and Manila, and remote Devexers on 5 continents.
Our Product team is responsible for making Devex's digital content available to our community in the best possible way. Most of our work is centered around the website devex.com and its related services, which is entirely developed and maintained by our team. For this, we communicate with stakeholders throughout the company and also act as an interface to all other things technical. We manage the cloud infrastructure running our digital services, implement business logic to process and store data, design and develop appealing user interfaces that allow our users to interact with all kinds of content. We are an international team of over 15 people, mostly based in the Barcelona office, and constantly reflect on our work to improve team culture and efficiency.
What you'll do at Devex
As Intermediate Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of efficient, reusable, and reliable code - mostly in the Ruby programming language. Your main focus will be on back-end technologies with occasional gigs in the front-end.
- Work on both new and existing features of our software system. This means crafting clear and well-designed code that is deployed to our production system several times a week
- Review your peers' code, participate in pair programming and provide mentorship to junior engineers
- Collaborate constantly with other engineers, designers, team leads and stakeholders for the best possible outcome
In your first weeks, you’ll:
- Get to know your peers and set up your work environment
- Have your first contributions deployed to our production environment
- Finish some minor projects (epics) as part of a small team
- Become familiar with the architecture of our entire software system
- Better understand the scope of Devex's services and mission
By the time you finish your first year, you’ll:
- Have become an integral part of the product team
- Be capable of implementing well-defined tasks completely independently
Tech Stack and Tools
The Devex website and related systems are hosted on Amazon Web Services, all developed code is version controlled via git on GitHub and ideally well tested. The main programming language for the back-end services is Ruby, using the Ruby on Rails and grape frameworks. The front-end is a mix of Ruby on Rails, AngularJS, and React. Nearly all data is stored in a relational database (PostgreSQL), cached by Redis, and searched over via Elasticsearch.
Here are the basic requirements we're looking for in the role:
- At least 2 years of experience in professional web application development
- EU work authorization
- Strong skills in written and spoken English
- A solid grasp of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, and the application development life-cycle in general
Besides the basics, here’s what we’d love to see:
- Professional experience with Ruby on Rails or allied technologies
- Familiarity with relational databases and/or search engines like Solr or Elasticsearch
- Experience with agile methodologies like Scrum or Kanban
That said, anything else that you bring to the table which adds value to our team is highly appreciated.
What We Offer You
Being part of the Devex team is a partnership. We strive to make Devex a space where you can thrive and do your most inspirational work. Here are a few benefits we offer in our Barcelona office:
- Flexible work hours
- Generous parental leave
- Unlimited snacks and drinks in the office
- Professional development and wellness activities
- 23 days paid vacation
- 2, one-week-long enterprise-wide breaks to rest and recharge
- 2 YAY days to learn or adventure as you like
- Private health and dental insurance
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Ready to get started? Apply now!